Joined  2007-03-17

Anyone could help?

Thanks!

Posted: 17 March 2007 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

Can you use the phrase in context? My inclination is that it is something to do with fast food, but without context it’s nearly impossible to tell you anything.

Posted: 17 March 2007 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  2007-01-30

It seems to be synonymous with ‘the complete package’, having spread from fast food, where it meant a discount given when you had the full meal, ie hamburger, fries, drink, pudding, etc. to other areas, as in the cites below:

West Side Story is the Full Meal Deal – a movie so strong in so many different areas that it’s impossible to argue with the ‘all-time classic’ label that it’s been given.

ApolloGuide

Student: Don’t just give us the full-meal deal

Zhou notes the common practice of “bundling” textbooks with extras like CDs, software and supplements helps drive up costs.

“Fast food chains promote meals bundling burger and fries, but they also sell the burger on its own. The same principle should be applied to textbook supplements.”

Source

Posted: 18 March 2007 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-03-17

Many thanks go to Dave Wilton and aldiboronti !

Dear Dave Wilton, I wanna shake hands with you. This is a question asked by a girl I don’t know, on the web. She told us no context. http://www.douban.com/group/topic/1493275/ Her post was in a group aiming at communicating something among traqnslators http://www.douban.com/group/translation/. Do you know about Chinese? If you are interested, welcome!

Dear aldiboronti, thank you again!  ~.~

Posted: 19 March 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2007-01-28

I’m old enough that “blue plate special” comes to mind. The really fancy restaurants, the ones that gave you frenchbread and butter while you were waiting for the meal, used the “blue willow” patterned plates, while the diners, I guess, just used blue plates.

Posted: 21 March 2007 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-03-17

Thank you , foolscap !

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2007-03-05

An updated version of ‘the full monty’ for these days when more of us go to fast food places than tailors.