Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-03-23

Here’s a discussion of the new uses of FAIL: http://www.slate.com/id/2202262/

Posted: 17 October 2008 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1257
Joined  2007-03-21

Why fail instead of failure? Why FAIL instead of fail? And why, for that matter, does it have to be “epic”?

Exactly.  I think it’s sms carried to an extreme.

Posted: 18 October 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3447
Joined  2007-01-29

Why? Because it’s short, funny, and catchy.  And it’s a perfectly normal development; as the Slate article says:

But there’s evidence to suggest fail is here to stay. For one thing, it’s easier to say than failure. (Need for brevity might explain why, in Webspeak, the opposite of fail is not success but win.) And there’s a proud tradition in English of chopping off the endings of words for convenience. ... It’s also common for verbs to become nouns, Liberman points out. You can lock a door, but it also has a lock. You can bike, but you can also own a bike. There was great fuss a century ago among readers of the British magazine Notes and Queries when it used the word meet to refer to a sporting event. It’s not surprising that failure would eventually spawn fail.

I personally find the usage hilarious, but even if you don’t, there’s not much point railing against it, and even if you want to rail against it, you might as well be accurate: it has nothing whatever to do with sms.

Posted: 18 October 2008 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2007-03-01

It’s also common for verbs to become nouns, Liberman points out. You can lock a door, but it also has a lock. You can bike, but you can also own a bike.

??? Surely those are examples of the exactly opposite process by which nouns become verbs? “To lock” and “to bike” are essentially ellipses for “to make use of a lock/bike”.

Posted: 19 October 2008 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3447
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes, that struck me too, but even if a couple of their examples are ass-backwards, their point is unimpeachable.

‹‹ Gong      Leave us face it ››