Taint
Posted: 24 December 2008 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

This tickled me.

In a thread on the SDMB one poster insultingly invited another to kiss his taint. The insultee, as puzzled as I was by the term, asked its meaning. Another poster obliged with this definition:

The taint, I am given to understand, is the tender fold of flesh between the anus and the scrotum that is characterized chiefly by its seam, which forms a pinched ridge where one hemisphere of the body joins the other.

I hurried to the OED for confirmation but found no reference to this (presumably) scientific anatomical term.

Then I spotted this followup post and the lights went on!

T’ain’t your ass and t’ain’t your balls

Magnifique!

Posted: 24 December 2008 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3498
Joined  2007-01-29

I don’t know if you were joking about the “scientific” thing, but just in case, I’ll be the boring pedant who points out that it is purely a slang term, and of quite recent vintage.  Cassell:

t’aint/taint/taintmeat n. [1990s] (US) a woman’s perineum, the space between the vagina and the anus. [i.e. t’aint pussy and t’aint asshole]

Posted: 24 December 2008 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

I was poking gentle fun at myself for believing momentarily that it was a real anatomical term, LH, but thank you anyway. It’s been around quite a while then in internet terms, another one that passed me by until now.

Posted: 25 December 2008 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1275
Joined  2007-03-21
aldiboronti - 24 December 2008 07:50 AM

I was poking gentle fun at myself for believing momentarily that it was a real anatomical term, LH, but thank you anyway. It’s been around quite a while then in internet terms, another one that passed me by until now.

It’s older than that.  Dates from my own misspent youth which is at least to the 70s and likely older.

I just read a bicycling magazine article about properly designed seats for long distance biking.  It noted that the area of pressure that a good bicycle seat must relieve is the “taint” (spelled that way!).

Posted: 26 December 2008 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3498
Joined  2007-01-29

Interesting.  It apparently does go back at least to the ‘70s, because Richard A. Spears’ Slang and Euphemism (1981) has it, and it may go back considerably further, depending on what you make of this quote from Norman Mailer’s Tough Guys Don’t Dance (1984):

the perineum (which we boys out on Long Island used to call the Taint — ‘tain’t vagina, ‘tain’t anus, ho, ho)

Mailer was born in 1923; I don’t know the age of the character who says that (I got the quote via Google Books).  I suppose Mailer could have been tossing in a colloquialism he’d just learned.  But I thought I’d mention it.

‹‹ it sucks      something ››