3 of 3
Spammers
Posted: 14 August 2009 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07
Dave Wilton - 13 August 2009 02:59 PM

God, I love the wireless world of the 21st century. I just deleted that last spammer using my iPhone at a freeway reststop.

I used to dread vacations because spammers and trolls always seemed to come out of the woodwork while I was away. A problem no more.

Amen. Yesterday I had a three way videoconferance going with one guy in Australia, one guy in UK and me in California with my laptop, sitting in a coffee house, with three other associates at the table, all of us talking like we were all in the same room. Amazing.

Posted: 22 August 2009 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4597
Joined  2007-01-03

I don’t know if it’s the bad economy, forcing people into a life of spam to feed their children, but we’ve got some sophisticated spammers on this site. Note the following which I just deleted. It is clearly not machine generated; it’s specifically tailored for this site:

Anyone who has ever used pen and ink ("the black liquor with which men write") has cause to be grateful to Dr. Samuel Johnson, who compiled what was almost the first and for a long time the best dictionary of the English language.

Natural Colon Cleanse

The words “natural colon cleanse” had a link to the spam site, which I have not reproduced here.

The “black liquor” is even an accurate quote of Johnson’s definition of ink.

Also, the lines followed by “natural colon cleanse” have a kind of dadaist quality to them. And somehow, I don’t think Dr. Johnson would be displeased; he might even be amused by it.

Posted: 22 August 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2007-02-14

I’m not sure why we’d want the language cleansed of colons.  I know there are some who would cleanse the language of semicolons, not that I’m one of them.

Posted: 24 August 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

The quote’s from here: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,896785,00.html with the title - Books: The Harmless Drudge

Easy site keyword matching.

[ Edited: 24 August 2009 09:40 AM by happydog ]

3 of 3