Search function
Posted: 31 January 2007 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2007-01-29

I tried a search on “eliza” (as a test word) and then one on “nine”.  The search function showed more “eliza"s than I was able to access; same with “nine”.  Could someone else check it out and see if I’ve done something wrong* please?  Or tell me how it works?

*Always a strong possibility.

Posted: 31 January 2007 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3539
Joined  2007-01-29

I searched on “eliza” and got the two threads you’ve participated in.  (I’m using Firefox/IE, for what that’s worth.)

Edit: Fixed typo.  Let’s see how the edit function works!

Posted: 07 February 2007 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Re the new server (7 February):
I did another search on “eliza” and was shown only two threads.  I know I’ve contributed to more in this forum.
The search on “nine” yielded similarly disappointing results.  I got more results in my previous search.

Speed on this new server is far better than on the first, Dave. However, I still can’t access all of the Home Page.

Posted: 07 February 2007 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-01-03

The generic search does not include member names. That’s why “eliza” is only turning up in two threads--the word “eliza” only appears in message bodies in two of the threads. Searching on member names is a separate function. If you go to Advanced Search and enter “eliza” into the member search box, you will get more hits.

The problem that Eliza is seeing with not all of the page being displayed is a bug that appears on some system configs. It appears to be Internet Explorer only and not on every machine. I see it on my machine at work when I use IE (but not with Firefox), but not with IE on my home machine. It’s a curious bug because when you view the html source, the entire page is there, but for some reason the browser is not displaying the entire page. Given that this bug appears in IE and will likely be encountered by a significant portion of site visitors, it is a critical one that I have to get to the bottom of before going live.

Posted: 08 February 2007 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ve managed (with the help of pMachine’s fantastic tech support) to diagnose the guillotine problem that Eliza is experiencing. It’s a bug in IE.

The trick will be finding a workaround that does not completely screw up the layout of the pages.

This is the last “critical” issue I need to resolve before going live, at least in my opinion. There are some other things, but I don’t think I need to hold up completing the transition to fix them. (The great thing about the web is that it need not be perfect to launch; you can always correct as you go.) Let me know if there are other issues that you think absolutely need to be resolved before going live with this site.

Posted: 08 February 2007 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

Eliza,

I think I’ve fixed the problem with content being guillotined in IE. Could you please check and verify that you are no longer seeing the problem? That’s on http://word.pmhclients.com. I’m not updating the wordorigins.org/beta site anymore.

If it is, I’ll go ahead and start the process of getting the wordorigins.org DNS pointers aimed at the new servers. This may take a few days as I also have to arrange to have the wilton.net and biztechdictionary.com domains moved over. (Technically, I don’t have to do it this way, but I’d rather do it all at once.)

[ Edited: 08 February 2007 04:00 PM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 08 February 2007 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes, it’s fine now, Dave, thanks.  I can scroll down to view everything.

‹‹ Smileys      Registration Delays ››