3 of 3
What is the word? (Again)
Posted: 11 December 2017 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-11-26
Eyehawk - 11 December 2017 11:11 AM

Is this what you are talking about re stuffed animals? http://www.wildlifetreasures.com/rabbits.htm#rabbit
As far as a carving of a tree carved out of wood from that tree, I have no idea.

Those rabbits would definitely fit the description, well, the real fur ones would, but it doesn’t get me any closer to the word that’s being looked for. :)
If someone comes up with it in the original post on FB I’ll let y’all know what it is.

Posted: 22 December 2017 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2007-02-24

Are you talking about taxidermy or mounts?

Posted: 22 December 2017 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3475
Joined  2007-01-31

I get the concept, but I don’t know of any word for it.  I’m reminded of David Gerrold’s insistence that tribbles should not be made out of real animal fur.

If you were looking for suggestions to coin a for it, I would suggest “Jarrodization”, after Vincent Price’s character in House of Wax; he was killing people to make them into figures in his wax museum.

Posted: 23 December 2017 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1522
Joined  2007-02-14

I remember in a special exhibit of Chinese art seeing a picture of a peacock that, from across the room, looked incredibly real.  Upon close examination it turned out to be embroidery.  Reading the description I saw that the threads were made of strands of peacock feathers.

Posted: 24 December 2017 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2007-03-01

A couple of years ago, as part of a drive to prevent tiger-poaching, an exhibit of smuggled goods containing tiger parts seized by the UK Customs was put on in London. Among the tiger-bone wine and the fashion items was a collection of soft-toy tiger cubs, beautifully made out of real tiger-cub fur and unspeakably cute. I couldn’t then, and still can’t, fathom the mindset of someone who thinks tiger cubs are so adorable and pretty that they are prepared to have them killed to be made into toys.

Posted: 24 December 2017 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2013-10-14
Syntinen Laulu - 24 December 2017 01:43 AM

A couple of years ago, as part of a drive to prevent tiger-poaching, an exhibit of smuggled goods containing tiger parts seized by the UK Customs was put on in London. Among the tiger-bone wine and the fashion items was a collection of soft-toy tiger cubs, beautifully made out of real tiger-cub fur and unspeakably cute. I couldn’t then, and still can’t, fathom the mindset of someone who thinks tiger cubs are so adorable and pretty that they are prepared to have them killed to be made into toys.

Because they have the same mindset as hunters who can shoot and kill a tiger without a scintilla of compunction as they gleefully smile while sitting on top of their prey. I never understood the sport of hunting, which I abhor. To kill an animal, such as a tiger or a lion, from 50 yards away with a high-powered rifle is the true act of cowardliness and insensitivity.

3 of 3

‹‹ shindig      podcasting - iPod - pod ››