AHD no longer at Bartleby
Posted: 22 June 2009 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2816
Joined  2007-01-31

Bartleby.com is apparently no longer offering access to the American Heritage Dictionary.  In fact, they now have NO dictionary among their reference sources.

Dictionary.com now offers the AHD among their online dictionaries (has this been true for a while) but I’m not so wild about their interface.

Posted: 22 June 2009 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4689
Joined  2007-01-03

Nor does Dictionary.com have the appendix of IE roots. (I’m not wild about tracing roots back to IE, but it was nice to have an easily accessible listing of the roots.) I’ve been holding off updating the resources page until I was sure that this was permanent thing and not a glitch where someone at Bartleby forgot to update links or upload files.

(The problem with IE roots isn’t so much in the scholarship behind them as in how they are used. Too many people take them as some kind of definitive dictionary of a particular language, rather than a general indication of what the collection of dialects that made up PIE might have looked like.)

Posted: 22 June 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2007-02-14

Too bad; I’ll miss having it online. Agreed about the misuses of etymology. At best, a dictionary of PIE roots is a kind of consensus communis shorthand for the decades of scholarship involved in comparing the words from the daughter languages.