2 of 2
Hippy
Posted: 04 April 2007 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4740
Joined  2007-01-03

I don’t see how a simple statement that “nonconformist = hip” in any context is correct. “Hip” is more than just nonconformity. A better definition would be “hip = in the vanguard of fashion.” It is not simple nonconformity, but rather to adopt a fashion before it becomes mainstream. Being on the leading edge of stylish trends is the key to being hip.

There are many examples of non-hip nonconformists. Trekkies are but one. Another example would be to wear a goatee and beret, hang out in coffee houses reading Kerouac, and use phrases like “Daddy-O” and “with it.” This is still nonconformist, but it hasn’t been hip in decades.

Posted: 04 April 2007 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1275
Joined  2007-03-21

That’s why I think Arriola is a good fringe character in this ongoing definition of Hippie.  He was born in 1917 (or thereabouts--I love how these discussions take us into these obscure places) and his avant garde were the beatniks.  He was five years Kerouac’s senior!  But then the spider (Bug Rogers) develops from the Jazz version of “hippie” to the 60s version of hippie.

Nonconformity is a big issue in the US and the UK.  Doesn’t the word come from the refusal by the Puritans to conform to some royal edict in the 17th century?  Iconoclasm dates from this period as well, yes?  Or is that Cromwell?  And is that different?

Being “hip” is to be on this cutting edge, even though some pieces of the mode (even the best remembered pieces) don’t survive, the main style remains.  I have a favorite piece of Lennie Bruce’s that I listen to on my IPod (now there’s an irony for you).  It’s a joke about the “lost boy.” A shaggy dog story marked by such dated language of the time as “dig, man”.  But the revolution revolved while its trappings fell away.

I think Dave is right.  Nonconformity is not all there is to hip.  But it may well be a sure sign of its advent.

Necessary but not sufficient makes sense to me.

[ Edited: 04 April 2007 07:08 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 04 April 2007 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

Remembering my Gibbon, it was the Emperor Leo the Iconoclast who instituted the first age of Christian iconoclasm. This Wikipedia page indicates that the 8th century Leo III the Isaurian was the emperor so styled. The movement lasted a couple of hundred years, generating much heat, until the iconodules (lovely word!) again gained the upper hand.

First cite in OED for iconoclast is this:

1596 DALRYMPLE tr. Leslie’s Hist. Scot. v. 269 A counsel of thrie hunder and fiftie Bischopis haldne at Nice against the secte of Jmagebrekeris, thair name Jconoclastæ.

And for iconoduly, the worshipping or veneration of images, this:

1640 R. BAILLIE Canterb. Self-Convict. 55 All their practice heere is but *iconoduly, not idolatrie.

[ Edited: 04 April 2007 10:30 PM by aldiboronti ]

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2836
Joined  2007-01-31

Thanks to Oec for bringing up Gordo, a reminder of my long-ago youth (the newspaper we took carried the strip).  Arriola was ahead of his time in at least one other respect: Gordo’s tour bus was powered by ethanol.

Posted: 05 April 2007 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2015
Joined  2007-02-19

Your mention of Byzantium, aldi, brings to mind an amusing site I came across today called “Uncyclopedia”, which appears to be a take-off of Wikipedia. Amusing in parts, anyway. It takes real genius to make nonsense amusing all the time, particularly on an encyclopedic scale. I like this take on the Byzantine empire: the Nika riots started over an argument about the Empress Theodora’s underwear.....

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire

(Ed.: my apologies if someone else has already mentioned this site)

[ Edited: 05 April 2007 12:17 PM by lionello ]

Posted: 05 April 2007 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

Ha! an uncyclopedia is a wonderful notion. I see they have an article on Etymology, which I’m sorely tempted to expand. Very amusing take on the Byzantines. Mention of the Empress Theodora brought to mind that old gossip-monger Procopius, who as court historian dutifully toiled on the official history of Justinian and Theodora by day, while penning the scabrous Secret History by night.

(I can still remember reading the Secret History with delight as a young man and thinking that if Mr Carrick our classics master had used this as a set text his pupils’ proficiency in Greek would have soared like a lark on the wing.)

On the field of pleasure she (Theodora) was never defeated. Often she would go picnicking with ten young men or more, in the flower of their strength and virility, and dallied with them all, the whole night through. When they wearied of the sport, she would approach their servants, perhaps thirty in number, and fight a duel with each of these; and even thus found no allayment of her craving. Once, visiting the house of an illustrious gentleman, they say she mounted the projecting corner of her dining couch, pulled up the front of her dress, without a blush, and thus carelessly showed her wantonness. And though she flung wide three gates to the ambassadors of Cupid, she lamented that nature had not similarly unlocked the straits of her bosom, that she might there have contrived a further welcome to his emissaries.

How the Earl of Rochester would have loved the court of Justinian and Theodora! His Mock Song would, on the evidence of the passage above, have suited her to a T!

“Were all my body larded o’er
With darts of love, so thick
That you might find in every pore
A well-stuck standing prick,
Whilst yet my eyes alone were free,
My heart would never doubt,
In amorous rage and ecstasy,
To wish those eyes, to wish those eyes fucked out.”

Edit: Link added for the complete Mock Song.

[ Edited: 05 April 2007 03:19 PM by aldiboronti ]

2 of 2

‹‹ Drunk as a ........      WBP ››