Line one position three
Posted: 21 July 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-02-15

Has anyone else started noticing this phrase?

Found this one on a UK football (soccer) site I visit.
Full quote was (after a torrent of abuse about a player who had been out on the lash (having too many drinks):

Line one position three E _ _ E !!!!

The “E _ _ E” bit will be “erse”, Lowland Scots for ‘arse’, US ‘ass’.

I’ve seen it a couple of times and sort of get the gist but no idea as to how it came about. Programming languages?

Posted: 21 July 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

That’s a puzzler. The few sightings on Google suggest that it’s used by Hibernian FC fans but there’s also one hit from an Australian site, on which a poster, whose profile reveals he lives in Australia, writes:

Haha, Melvin… Almost as robotic as the host, Mike Mead. Line one, position three: knobhead.

This one has me stumped. It’s difficult to even gauge its meaning from the few examples which come up.

I recall the form erse from Chaucer, it was also the Middle English spelling for arse.

[ Edited: 21 July 2009 03:11 PM by aldiboronti ]

Posted: 21 July 2009 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15

Guess which SPL team I support? :-) Surely it can’t be that local - or might the australian be an Edinburgh man?

Posted: 21 July 2009 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3100
Joined  2007-02-26

Sounds like the syntax for error reporting in certain compilers, or a cursor position instruction in some old displays.

It makes some sense in the quote about Melvin (from the show Now You See It, hosted by Mike Meade), since Melvin was a robot.

But it is pretty too obscure and arcane for someone to just throw it into a football discussion and expect others to have a clue what he’s on about.

EDIT: Age has not been kind to my memory banks. A bit of googlation tells me that “Line 1, Position 3” is actually something that might have been said during the game Now You See It. Contestants had to find words in a grid, and specified the location of the words using such phrases.

EDITAGAIN: As I should have guessed, there were versions produced elsewhere, not hosted by Mike Meade and not featuring a robot. Ignore my robot comments above, they are irrelevant. There was a version made by Scottish Television.

[ Edited: 21 July 2009 04:59 PM by OP Tipping ]

Posted: 21 July 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-07-14

Well Aldi, if you are brave you could send a message to the individual who posted the comment and get his/her understanding of the phrase.

Go on… we dare you.

Posted: 21 July 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2836
Joined  2007-01-31

I think OP Tipping has it.  One of the (expired but cached) messages on what I take to be the same football site that BlackGrey referred to writes

As Johhny Beaty might say on that old gameshow

Line one position three erse

The Scottish TV version of Now You See It was hosted by a Johnny Beattie. A description of the program can be found
here.

The phrase seems to be very popular on that one board, but almost absent from the rest of the web.

Posted: 21 July 2009 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3100
Joined  2007-02-26

Possibly one of those forum-specific memes that pop up.

Posted: 23 July 2009 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15

Once again I am stunned by the efficacy of the members here. Many thanks for your good googlings.

Line One, Position Three…

Me!!

I may just ask them if anyone knows who introduced it on that forum and why.

Mind you, there are approx 100,000 different ways that footy fans call someone an arse so I guess this is one that might just fall by the wayside in due course....