2 of 2
Krankenschwester
Posted: 13 April 2007 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1297
Joined  2007-03-21

I’m sure that languagehat knows that, and he also knows that gehoerte and schliesslich aren’t nouns.

He also might know that schliesslich isn’t spelled like that.

Posted: 13 April 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2860
Joined  2007-01-31

He also might know that schliesslich isn’t spelled like that.

You lost me.  Do you mean that it ought to be schließlich?  Well, OK, and gehoerte ought to be gehörte, but I can’t see the point of picking nits because someone didn’t want to mess around with special characters, and went for standard transliterations, in a case like this. And in particular, I don’t see the point of making an issue of it now (if that’s what you’re referring to) after you originally transcribed it that way.

But apart from the scharfes s (and the capitalization, which you’ve already explained as being due to the late hour--and we know that you also know they’re not nouns) you, I and my Langenscheidt’s all spell schliesslich the same way, so I don’t see what you’re getting at.

[ Edited: 13 April 2007 11:55 AM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 13 April 2007 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2032
Joined  2007-02-19

Good grief.

Testy comments of that sort are unwarranted and not appreciated by this poster, Jory Dayne. The temperature of my welcome just went down by quite a few degrees.

Posted: 13 April 2007 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3537
Joined  2007-01-29

To be fair, your first sentence, minus the welcoming parenthesis, didn’t sound particularly welcoming:

I’d like to know just where Jory Dayne ... gets the information that nursing has a history of being dominated by women.

So you might want to cut him a little slack for being testy in response, especially since (as he says) he wasn’t claiming that was true, just relaying something he was told.

Posted: 13 April 2007 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2007-01-29

Oh, stop it, all of you!

PS - Anyone notice my third little box?  They’re collector’s items, you know!

Posted: 13 April 2007 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2007-02-23

Time for a little levity.

http://renown.as.utexas.edu/~kurtis/Ulrike.html

//

Tune: Old Time Rock-N-Roll

Music: Bob Seeger

ALL:

Just take the old Duden off the shelf
Turn to page 40 and read for yourself
This new Rechtschreibung just ain’t as cool
As that old-time ess-zet rule ....

//

Posted: 14 April 2007 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07
ElizaD - 13 April 2007 10:19 PM

PS - Anyone notice my third little box?  They’re collector’s items, you know!

And you wear it so well!

Sigh - I have such a long way to go for my third box, but every little post helps, even blatant sycophatery. And for those of you who want to say that sycophatery “isn’t a word” I’ll just have to McAuliffetize you with, “Nuts!”

Posted: 14 April 2007 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-04-08

Sigh - I have such a long way to go for my third box, but every little post helps, even blatant sycophatery. And for those of you who want to say that sycophatery “isn’t a word” I’ll just have to McAuliffetize you with, “Nuts!”

It’s only a word when spelled correctly: sycophantry.  (Just being a weisenheimer.  :)

Signature 

Fregt mikh bekheyrem!
~ Shmegege

2 of 2

‹‹ Rubber      spurn ››