Suggest adding links to 2nd element name for doubled-up entries
Posted: 09 November 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2823
Joined  2007-01-31

Dave,

While writing a response in the “lead” thread, I went looking for the entry on neodymium, and I noticed that there is no link to it under N in the alphabetized set of links to Big List entries, because the entry is titled “praseodymium, neodymium (and didymium)” and alphabetized under P.  I’d like to suggest that you add a “neodymium” link under N (and possibly a “didymium” link under D).  Not new articles, mind you, just additional links to the same article, sorted under the other names, so that a person could actually find them by looking for those names.  Likewise for “quicksilver”, there should be a link filed under Q and not just under M for “mercury”. Maybe also for wolfram and any others where you’ve done two names in one entry.

Posted: 09 November 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4716
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ll look into it, but it’s not as easy as just adding a link. The alphabetical lists are automatically generated based on the title of of the article. I’m not sure I can create cross-links without duplicating the articles with different titles. There may be a way to do it, though.

Posted: 09 November 2009 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2823
Joined  2007-01-31

Well, I suppose one could just create an article tiled “neodymium” that says only “See praseodymium.” That seems trivially easy, and reputable reference works use that dodge all the time.

Posted: 10 November 2009 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3477
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes, that’s an excellent idea.  One should be able to look up any element name in the list.

Posted: 10 November 2009 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

That’s the ticket. And if I date the cross reference to the original article, it won’t even clutter up the main page.

Posted: 13 November 2009 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m starting to add the cross references. If you subscribe to the RSS feed, you’ll see a lot of new postings--despite my backdating them. So I apologize for any inconvenience.