Amerindian words for “horse”
Posted: 07 February 2010 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2007-02-14

In the Firewater thread Dave expresses some uncertainty about the use of the term iron horse in Amerindian pidgin.  This leads me to wonder about Native American terms for the horse.  It’s certainly not the sort of term that they would have had in their native languages and probably not one that many of them would learn from the white man since many of the ones in the interior would have met the horse before they met the white man.

Posted: 07 February 2010 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4740
Joined  2007-01-03

Here’s a collection of online Native American dictionaries. I’m not sure it will be all that helpful as going through them will only produce a list of words.

But the Kitty Cornwall Lenape dictionary is interesting. It gives the Lenape word for horse as nenajunges and says it is from nailitidaiii, “to carry burdens on the back.” I would imagine that many Native American words for horse follow a similar pattern.

Posted: 07 February 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2007-02-14

The Lakota Sioux term for horse is šuŋka wakʼáŋ literally ‘dog holy’ (sometimes translated as medicine-dog. Sometimes people apply old animal names to new ones with some kind of qualification. Isn’t medicine one of those words that Hollywood Indians used?

Posted: 07 February 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2836
Joined  2007-01-31

In the old thread I linked to about “iron horse”, there is a link to another old thread, Indian words for horse, in which the matter is discussed in some detail (ironically, Faldage contributed probably the most informative answer).

[ Edited: 07 February 2010 12:53 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 07 February 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2007-02-14

Over what hill?  Where?  When?  I don’t remember any hill!