Xavier
Posted: 13 March 2010 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-01-30

In a rerun of an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, to which my wife has just become addicted, I noticed that one of the doctors, addressing her colleague by his full name, said, “Dr. Preston Xavier Burke”. The middle name was pronounced Eggzavior. This reminded me that in the X-Men movies Patrick Stewart’s character also pronounces his name thus. I’d always thought it was said thus in the movies to underline the connections with Professor X, X-Men, etc but now I’m wondering whether this is a standard pronunciation in the States, or at least a popular alternative one.

If Eggzavier comes can eggzylophone be far behind?

Posted: 13 March 2010 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2007-02-17

Other than Professor X and Xavier University which I think is pronounced with z, I don’t know any that don’t spell it Javier.

As to eggzylophone… people who live in Featherstonehaugh/Talliaferro/Minges houses, should not throw stones. ;)

Posted: 13 March 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

"Zavier” is the most familiar pronunciation to me. The “eggs” pronunciation always makes me of the All in the Family Episode where Archie Bunker, playing some sort of trivia guessing game, thought Xavier Cugat’s initials were E.C.

Posted: 13 March 2010 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3337
Joined  2007-01-29

Other than Professor X and Xavier University which I think is pronounced with z, I don’t know any that don’t spell it Javier.

The spelling Javier is, as far as I know, confined to the Spanish-speaking world.

The “eggs” pronunciation is quite common, though of course considered incorrect by the guardians of correctness.

Posted: 13 March 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2007-02-26

Have to say I’ve never heard it pronounced other than Zavier, and if I were to encounter any unfamiliar name or word starting with X and a vowel, I would just straight up assume it is pronounced with a Z sound.

Posted: 14 March 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2007-02-15

It’s certainly a new house to me.

But ‘Etcheberria’ reminds me of the name of some ex-player of Barcelona (soccer) with a similar name, ‘oldhouse’ probably.... anyone help with that? Ach, maybe I’m in the wrong area, what do I know, I’m no zaviour.

Posted: 15 March 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-06-20

That’s interesting, BlackGrey - so Mr Xavier Casanova is nominally pleonastic. I wonder if he knows?.

Posted: 16 March 2010 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2007-03-05
OP Tipping - 13 March 2010 05:30 PM

Have to say I’ve never heard it pronounced other than Zavier, and if I were to encounter any unfamiliar name or word starting with X and a vowel, I would just straight up assume it is pronounced with a Z sound.

Nor have I heard it pronounced any other way, I have a Belgian friend with the name and that’s how he says it.

Posted: 16 March 2010 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3337
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes, I expect Belgians prounounce things differently than Americans.

‹‹ Walk the talk      Corn (to salt) ››