5 of 5
Harmless Drudge: How to (Not) Speak With a British Accent
Posted: 15 January 2017 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3451
Joined  2007-01-31

Just watched Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life last night, and much as I love the Pythons’ humor, those guys were not good at American accents.  Even Terry Gilliam’s seemed a little off to me, and he spent the first 25 years of his life here!

Posted: 15 January 2017 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6275
Joined  2007-01-03

Yeah, but with the Pythons you don’t know whether they’re striving for authenticity and failing or going for an exaggerated stereotype of what an American sounds like to a Brit.

Posted: 15 January 2017 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3451
Joined  2007-01-31

Like the French soldier in Holy Grail: “I’m French!  Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?” Could be, though they don’t seem quite bad enough to be deliberately so.  They’re better than Benny Hill’s, for instance.

Posted: 15 January 2017 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3944
Joined  2007-02-26

Their Australian accents in “Bruces” are not exactly spot on.

I mean they are comedians, not primarily actors.

Posted: 15 January 2017 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2007-03-01

They are comedians, not primarily actors

And they weren’t attempting ‘real’ French or Australian accents; they were deliberately doing comedy accents. Cleese’s line in Holy Grail makes this clear; and the whole Australian Philosophers sketch is about British stereotypes of Australia, corks on bush hats and all, with what the average Brit thinks of as an Australian accent. If they had got in a dialect coach and learned to deliver their lines in perfect French and Australian accents (not that they would have done that, even assuming the production could have afforded it), that would have been less funny.

Posted: 16 January 2017 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1603
Joined  2007-01-29

I agree. The humour would be lost with perfectly coached accents, just as in “‘Allo, ‘allo” the imperfect French-to-English accents are all part of it, and the French apparently see the funny side of it, too. A different scenario, I know, but my point is imperfect accents are part of our (probably obscure) British humour.

Posted: 28 April 2017 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

Saw X-men First Class the other day.

Fassbender’s performance was lovely but his accent was not quite stable and I’m not completely sure whether it was unintentional. The actor was born in Germany with an Irish mother and a German father, I believe he is an Irish national. His character is a German who moves to the USA at the age of 19. Through most of the film he appears to have what used to be called a mid-Atlantic accent: a bit like General American but with some British aspects. In the film’s climax, where he gives a rousing speech, he sounds pretty Irish, and somehow it seems appropriate: it’s a very Michael Collins moment. That’s what made me consider that it might have been a director’s or actor’s choice.

He also speaks German, French and Russian in the film, and I’d be interested in hearing how good his German is. The French is not quite there.

Posted: 28 April 2017 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2007-02-14

Not unlike the student play I saw once.  One of the characters was supposed to be Southern US but kept drifting off to Maine.

Posted: 28 April 2017 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  718
Joined  2013-10-14

A little late, but I would like to add my tidbit of news on accents.

In David Lean’s (Arguably Britain’s greatest film director, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, The Bridge on the River Kwai) film Ryan’s Daughter,(perhaps Lean’s worst film) Christopher Jones was an American movie star and one of the principal stars in the film. He was portraying an English officer. He had his entire voice dubbed over in the film. Jones in the 1970s was at the height of his career and had the potential of being one of America’s biggest movie stars. After Ryan’s daughter his career went into complete oblivion; he became virtually a non-entity in Hollywood, very sad.

One of the many rumors was that he couldn’t deal with his voice being dubbed in the film. Lean had Jones’ voice dubbed after completion of the film and this had a disturbing affect on Jones and a negative affect on his reputation.

There were obviously other serious circumstances that contributed to his demise.

Posted: 28 April 2017 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

According this piece, they spiked Jones’s coffee when he was being difficult. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/RYAN’S+SLAUGHTER&#x3B;+Cast+and+crew+in+Oscars+movie+were+high+on+drugs.-a084481807

5 of 5