Stephen Fry on the Joys of Swearing
Posted: 29 August 2010 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3074
Joined  2007-02-26

Couldn’t see a thread attached to this Drudge item, so I’m starting one.

Fry made similar comments in an article published in his Paperweight collection, in which he also expressed the view that he’d said “fuck” more than another other man of his age and weight in the country at one sitting, during a televised panel discussion on the topic.

I quite love Fry. Honestly, I’d turn for him like milk in the sun. He and Laurie, as well as being in A Bit Of Fry And Laurie, were together in the Blackadder series. He’s also a pretty decent novelist, though I’ve only read The Liar and The Hippopotamus, the latter being one of my favourite novels.

I think he’s pretty close to the mark on this: people are mostly offended by swearing on behalf of others. You’re not supposed to swear in a formal context because you’re not supposed to swear in a formal context. But perhaps this because everyone I know is so lost to sin that they are not offended by four-letter words.

Posted: 29 August 2010 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2822
Joined  2007-01-31

He and Laurie, as well as being in A Bit Of Fry And Laurie, were together in the Blackadder series.

If you haven’t seen them as Jeeves and Wooster in the Granada Television adaptations of P.G. Wodehouse’s stories, you’ve missed something wonderful.

Posted: 29 August 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes indeed.  That show almost reconciled me to the (apparently irretrievable) vanishing of BBC’s World of Wooster (1965–1967), starring Ian Carmichael and Dennis Price, which introduced the 14-year-old languagehat to the glories of Wodehouse.

Posted: 30 August 2010 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

I too have very fond memories of Jeeves and Wooster. The way that Fry and Laurie were able to both disappear into their characters and yet never lose themselves was simply masterful acting and when you add that to Wodehouse, you wind up with something truly special.

‹‹ Cranky      Weird Spam ››