1 of 2
quintuple
Posted: 10 May 2007 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1258
Joined  2007-03-21

Just heard Peter Bergen of CNN (a Brit of some sort, I think) pronounced the word “quintuple” as kwin-too-pl (even if I knew how to do macrons, I’m typing on a laptop, so no number pad)

I was amazed to find that AHD lists that as the first pronunciation.  Kwin-tyoo-pl as the second.  And kwin-tuh-pl (the “uh” there is a schwa) as the third. 

I think that the AHD is going to have to give up American as its first name.  Or is the schwa in the second syllable a midwest US thing?

[ Edited: 10 May 2007 07:40 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-02-23

MW3 gives the same choices, more or less. RHUD the same along with /kwInt[j]Upl/ or so (with 1st-syllable stress) where the /U/ is like the vowel in “pull”.

I would suppose /kwIntupl/ would be most frequent in the US (with 1st and/or 2nd syllable stress) ... but I haven’t personally encountered a representative sample of US speakers, surely, so what do I know?

What seems amazing about the AHD entry?

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

That it lists a foreign pronunciation first and second!  And the wave file is kwin TOO pl

[ Edited: 10 May 2007 09:11 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-02-23

The “foreign” first choice seems to be the one which I suppose to be the most frequent US choice (of course I could very well be wrong). I would use it myself, and I’m a US-an.

If this choice is “foreign”, what is the suggested “domestic” favorite? [I assume that “foreign” = “non-US-an”?]

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2007-01-28

People, among whom Americans count themselves as being a sub-category, seem to want to Latinate various words for prestige value.

It’s not really amazing, just that we’re being overrun by refugees from Moronia, and the Moronic influences ... well they’re what they are.

Quintuple: qinn - tuh - pull

[ Edited: 10 May 2007 08:34 PM by foolscap ]

Posted: 10 May 2007 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21
D Wilson - 10 May 2007 08:20 PM

If this choice is “foreign”, what is the suggested “domestic” favorite? [I assume that “foreign” = “non-US-an”?]

You know, I’m in just a kind of Wordgeek kind of mood tonight (regarding issues of what is “foreign").  Anyway, I must be reading your orthographics differently.  I would say that the mainstream pronunciation in the US (well, let me just say MY pronunciation) would be kwin TUH puhl (where the “uh” in the second and third syllables stand for schwas).  And my reading of the AHD is that is the last of the three possible ways to pronounce the word.  (this begs the whole question about whether the common pronunciations are listed first).

Posted: 10 May 2007 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

Rightly or wrongly, I say kwin-tupple in the UK.

Posted: 10 May 2007 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2007-02-17

I’ve lived all my life in the South and Southwest and I can’t recall anyone saying -uhple.  I also took several math classes where n-tuples were discussed, not n-tuhples.  However, baby quintuplets are qwin tuh plits from a qwin too pl birth, but quadruplets are qwa droo plits.

[ Edited: 11 May 2007 12:20 AM by Myridon ]

Posted: 11 May 2007 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-02-22

Now that I think about it, I use “Kwin-tyoo-pl”, unlike everyone else so far....

Posted: 11 May 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3447
Joined  2007-01-29

I would say that the mainstream pronunciation in the US (well, let me just say MY pronunciation) would be kwin TUH puhl

I’ve said kwin-TOO-p’l all my life, and I’ve been American all my life.  I think you need to disconnect the concepts of “MY pronunciation” and “mainstream pronunciation” ASAP.  Dictionaries are there for a reason, which is not to reinforce your ideas of how people should talk.

Checking M-W, another quintessentially American dictionary, I find the following order (in my respelling—you can see the original here): kwin-TOO-p’l, -TYOO-, -TUH-, KWIN-tuh-p’l.

Do you also say “quad-RUPP-le”?  Because that sounds really weird to me.

Posted: 11 May 2007 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

think you need to disconnect the concepts of “MY pronunciation” and “mainstream pronunciation” ASAP.

Sorry for the attempt at WG type humor.  I’ve never confused my pronunciation with mainstream anything.  I was just trying to be funny.  Didn’t work.  Sorry.

Do you say “kwin TOO plits” ? (thanks, Myridon)

[ Edited: 11 May 2007 05:57 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 11 May 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-13

What lh said, all around.  The idea that kwin-TOO-p’l is not a standard American pronunciation is just wrong.  I have no personal knowledge as to the relative frequency of the various pronunciations, but I have no reason to doubt the dictionaries.

Posted: 11 May 2007 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Sorry for the attempt at WG type humor.  I’ve never confused my pronunciation with mainstream anything.  I was just trying to be funny.

No, I’m sorry—it’s clearly too early in the morning for me and my humor meter is not yet calibrated.  But I’m a little confused, since everything you’ve said in the thread indicates that you do think your pronunciation is standard (otherwise why would you be complaining about the dictionary?).

Posted: 11 May 2007 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

But I’m a little confused, since everything you’ve said in the thread indicates that you do think your pronunciation is standard (otherwise why would you be complaining about the dictionary?).

No, I really do pronounce quintuple with a (UH sound) in the second syllable and was somewhat surprised to find that that was the third pronunciation in the dictionary.  The whole bit about the “too” pronunciation being foreign and that it isn’t really pronounced that way in the US was my poor attempt at humor.

Here’s how I should have written the OP without the WG spin:

I just heard a British announcer (well he had a British accent) pronounce quintuple as kwin TOO ple and I’ve always pronounced it as kwin TUH ple!  Then come to find out that the AHD supports what I would have thought of as a British pronunciation.  Do any USns pronounce it that way?

edit: now that I look at the AHD entry again, there is actually a fourth pronunciation!  KWIN ti ple or something.  The one I use is the third one which is not a schwa but a short (I know) “U” sound which I’ve been styling as “uh”.

What a mess I’ve made.

[ Edited: 11 May 2007 07:02 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 11 May 2007 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2007-02-17

Oecolampadius,
I’m inducting you into my club.  We are the people who must always remember to include a smiley ;) of some fashion (^_^) whenever our posts QQ are meant to be humorous j/k lest it lead to ~~~~>_<~~~~ tears.
Some people think our smileys are extraneous, but once you have been through a few of these debacles, you will see the wisdom of our ways.

Welcome and LOL!

Posted: 11 May 2007 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

What a mess I’ve made.

Nah, just momentary confusion. But like Myridon says, more explicitness is usually better when it comes to humor, since we can’t see people’s expressions as they post.

1 of 2

‹‹ true synonyms      Skinning the Cat ››