2 of 2
Harmless Drudge: More Spelling Reform
Posted: 02 December 2010 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

I’m extremely leery of such reports based on a single or small number of examples that appear in the media. The press is good at taking isolated examples and giving the impression that they represent a trend.

I don’t think any of us in the UK are basing our comments on press reports.  Mine are based on observation and personal experience.

Posted: 02 December 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3026
Joined  2007-02-26

"Of course, it depends how you define “intelligence,” but most experts would say that rote learning, what is required for good spelling, “

You’re the dude but I disagree again: I don’t think any rote learning per se was involved in my acquisition of literacy. I think that being able to spell comes mainly from reading a lot and being able to understand and absorb patterns in what you read. If you read a word a thousand times in different contexts, and you don’t have a learning disability, how it is spelt should sink in, right?

Of course this won’t work if you’re reading 4chan entries all day and half the words are misspelt.

Posted: 02 December 2010 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2007-01-29

If you read a word a thousand times in different contexts, and you don’t have a learning disability, how it is spelt should sink in, right?

Wrong.  You may find it hard to believe, but I know a number of extremely intelligent and well-read people who are lousy spellers.  This is also true of professional authors (ask any editor).

2 of 2