Evolution of Language Takes Unexpected Turn
Posted: 15 April 2011 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

Evolution of Language Takes Unexpected Turn

I found this interesting and thought you might too.

Posted: 15 April 2011 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2007-02-13

Interesting, happydog.

I also ran across this today.

Posted: 15 April 2011 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2007-10-20

It’s an extremely fascinating area of study. I must admit that whenever I see the name Chomsky my brain sort of goes into overload and I start wondering whom I can beg for mercy. So, failing a safe haven, I resort to nitpicking the journalist. These two sentences caught my attention. I’d have said “caught my eye” but that always conjures up images of a fish hook at the end of a line being cast.

Such a system would account for why, of the nearly infinite number of languages that are possible — imagine, for instance, a language in which verb conjugation changes randomly; it is possible — relatively few actually exist.

I’m trying to imagine a language in which one would choose to express thoughts in this way.

After all, even if culture and circumstance shapes language evolution, it’s still working with a limited set of possibilities.

Culture and circumstance. It’s a human thing.

And all in all it’s a good article. There, I think the nice-pill is taking effect.

Posted: 16 April 2011 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  821
Joined  2007-06-20

Thorough kicking given to the whole thing by Mark Liberman at Language Log here.

‹‹ Damages      Implementate ››