“Commercial” posters
Posted: 22 April 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2007-02-16

We seem to be getting more and more purveyors of products and services using our Forum for marketing/promotion purposes.  Out of curiosity, some of us view these posts, recognise them for what they are, and wait for Dave to expurgate them.  My point is, that some of these posts give a website address which may tempt us to venture further.  Is it possible that, by doing so, we can pick up viruses or cookies that we don’t care to recruit?  If so, should we not warn Forum members of this possibility?

Posted: 22 April 2011 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07
Skibberoo - 22 April 2011 10:48 AM

Is it possible that, by doing so, we can pick up viruses or cookies that we don’t care to recruit?

Possible? Of course. Likely? Not in my opinion. The pros doing real evil use better methods than spamming forums and the script kiddies can’t be bothered to do the actual work required to spam forums. Even with automated software, it takes time and effort and money. There are easier and cheaper ways to find those who can be preyed upon.

Besides… haven’t you heard? The web is dead. It’s all about apps these days.

If so, should we not warn Forum members of this possibility?

See “Praeteritio”

Posted: 22 April 2011 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2011-04-10

Skibberoo, anything is possible.  I don’t think it would be a problem so much but why take the chance?  And why give them even one extra hit?  Also, “don’t feed the trolls,”—in this case “don’t feed the sp***ers.” Happydog nailed it.

Posted: 23 April 2011 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3443
Joined  2007-01-29

some of these posts give a website address which may tempt us to venture further.

Really?  I don’t think I have ever in my life been tempted to click on a spammer’s URL.  Different strokes, I guess.

Posted: 23 April 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2007-02-14

You are not exactly what I would call some of us, lh.

Posted: 23 April 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2305
Joined  2007-01-30

Speak of the devil. We’ve just had about five or six at once.

As to the point about clicking spammer links I’m surprised that any of our regular posters would be tempted to do any such thing. As with the rest of the net it’s really down to common sense. I doubt if there’s much Dave can do other than underline the obvious, ie stay away from spam links.  Does that really need stating though?

Posted: 22 July 2011 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2305
Joined  2007-01-30

Sigh.

If Dante were writing today he’d reserve a special place in Hell for these people. More crap disfiguring the board today.