3 of 3
the pit lane/pit road
Posted: 27 April 2017 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4457
Joined  2007-01-29

I don’t get your point about myriad.

It is in a similar situation.  To quote AHD:

Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of reasons. In the 1800s, it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad dreams. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s ”Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, however, both uses are acceptable today.

(Note that I use itals for quoting people in the thread and the quote box for quotes from elsewhere; my humble feeling is that this is better than what seems to have become normalized, which is using the quote box for everything and including the entire previous comment in the quote box, rather than just the bit one is responding to, which leads to confusion, at least for me.)

Posted: 27 April 2017 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3938
Joined  2007-02-26
languagehat - 27 April 2017 05:32 AM

I don’t get your point about myriad.
(Note that I use itals for quoting people in the thread and the quote box for quotes from elsewhere; my humble feeling is that this is better than what seems to have become normalized, which is using the quote box for everything and including the entire previous comment in the quote box, rather than just the bit one is responding to, which leads to confusion, at least for me.)

I dunno ...
I like the fact that the quotebox gives the author and date.

Posted: 27 April 2017 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2999
Joined  2007-01-30

I too like the fact that the quotebox gives author and date although I agree that quoting the whole post is an intensely annoying practice. Quoting people using italics can also be confusing at times.

Posted: 28 April 2017 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1574
Joined  2007-03-21
aldiboronti - 27 April 2017 08:30 AM

Quoting people using italics can also be confusing at times.

You can delete the parts of the quote that is not relevant to your response. Also, when you respond to a note that uses italics, they disappear in the quote and you have to recreate it if you want clarity as to whose talking and whose responding.

3 of 3