2 of 2
Nigga, nigger
Posted: 21 June 2007 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-13
flynn999 - 21 June 2007 03:49 AM

Don’t have any problems being called a Brit though - I call myself one

For whatever it is worth, this non-Brit has never before heard the suggestion that “Brit” is pejorative.  It is informal, but that is another matter.  It also fills the need for a collective term for inhabitants of the isle of Great Britain.  (So does “Briton”, but that sounds stilted to my ear.)

Posted: 21 June 2007 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2007-02-17

I thought someone’s objection to Brit on this board was (part of) the reason for the long phase a while back of referring to UKoGBaNI and Ukogbanistan.

Posted: 21 June 2007 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  2007-03-21
Myridon - 21 June 2007 06:49 AM

I thought someone’s objection to Brit on this board was (part of) the reason for the long phase a while back of referring to UKoGBaNI and Ukogbanistan.

I thought that it more had to do with the assumed linguistic inclusion of the Republic of Ireland under the Great Britain or, worse, United Kingdom banner.

Did we borrow “Rightpondia” from another discussion group?

edit: it looks like it originated about 1997 in AEU.

[ Edited: 21 June 2007 10:15 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 27 June 2007 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2007-03-05

After some problems with my OED sub so I couldn’t check this until now, I’d add that ‘Tory’ was originally an insulting nickname given to those who opposed the exclusion from succession of James, Duke of York (a catholic) to the British throne. It was originally a term along the same lines as ‘bog-trotter’. Wonder if the Tories (later Conservatives) were the first to reclaim an insulting nickname.

Posted: 28 June 2007 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-02-24

I know that “nigga” has become a common friendly term used among some mixed groups nowadays. But it will be a few years before this old fart will try it out amongst any group whether black, white, or mixed. I don’t like it. But the young think and speak differently than I did growing up (I understand my parents better every day).

I understand why the rappers use it. They are rapping about their lives, and that is the slang they understand and communicate with. But, because of that, I don’t understand why blacks would object when they hear young white kids using it because they heard it in the rap songs. Obviously, the white kids dig the music, so what should they expect?

It is all very confusing, and will take some time before we know how this all turns out.

[ Edited: 28 June 2007 01:16 AM by Eyehawk ]

Posted: 28 June 2007 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-06-28

Seems to me that everything depends on the intention of the speaker. In the case raised by the OP, it was (as I understand it, having not watched the show) very clear from the initial context that the word was being used in a friendly ‘ironic’ way, between two people who were in fact the two closest mates in the house - and was understood as such by both of them.

As one journo commented, a case of a middle class white girl who’s listened to a bit of Eminem and is trying, perhaps a tad ineptly, to ‘be street’. ‘No offense; none taken’ seems the only grown up response...except of course by the production company who, after the earlier incident with the Indian woman and wotsername, erred understandably on the side of caution and pushed the Big Red Button.

I would personally never dare to use the term, for fear of getting it wrong. But to deny it to entire races seems to me bizarrely close to racism. (En passant, I got chided on another board recently for using the term ‘Irishman’.)

2 of 2

‹‹ One small step for [a] man      Stroke ››