1 of 2
Fun
Posted: 14 June 2007 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2007-02-07

My ADD says…

fun: 1727 - amusement. From the Greek λ ω λ
Perhaps the 1685 sense is more appropriate.

Posted: 14 June 2007 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-03-02

What is ADD, please?

(Do I misremember a list of local abbrevs. and expressions, such as the ever-useful diegogarcicity, from the old board? is there one here?)

Posted: 14 June 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2231
Joined  2007-01-30

Here’s the glossary thread.

(Doesn’t have ADD there though, can’t remember that one myself).

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

Considering that the proposed Greek root has no similarity to “fun” in sound or form, corresponds to no Greek word in the Perseus site dictionaries, and transliterates as LOL, I think our legs are being pulled.  Or, less charitably, we are being trolled.

My ADD says…

fun: 1727 - amusement. From the Greek λ ω λ
Perhaps the 1685 sense is more appropriate.

Which leads to the question “what 1685 sense?” The answer is in the OED:

fun, v. 
1. trans. To cheat, hoax; also, to cajole. Const. of, out of. Obs. exc. dial.
1685 Roxb. Ball. VII. 473 She had fun’d him of his Coin.

(boldface added)
Yes, that is more appropriate.  In this case, I suspect ADD stands for “attention deficit disorder.”

[ Edited: 14 June 2007 09:34 AM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2231
Joined  2007-01-30

lol I completely missed that. (There, the first time I’ve used lol on this forum and probably the last!)

Posted: 14 June 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3337
Joined  2007-01-29

Can this thread be deleted?  It’s a waste of space on the board.

Posted: 14 June 2007 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-07

I was just trying to interject some fun. If I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies. There are some recent threads decidedly lacking a sense of humor and I thought some silliness would be a nice change of pace. I remember a time when the tone of the board was more jocular and less strident. Have a chuckle now and then my friends, you’ll live longer.

Posted: 15 June 2007 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1887
Joined  2007-02-19

No apologies needed at this address, Happydog. I thought your post amusing (far from trivial --- grammar, rhetoric, and logic are trivial), and would prefer to see a whole heap of other posts deleted before it. It evoked some wit in response, too. Not that I’m hard up for laughs. All i need to do is look in the mirror....

Posted: 15 June 2007 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2007-02-14

Maybe I can give this thread some value by adding that the Dutch word for ‘fun’ actually is ‘lol’.
Really.

As a bonus, that link reveals that in Welsh ‘lol’ means ‘nonsense’ plus that there is a language called Abenaki and one called Yucatec. I’ve heard of that last one (the language of the Mayas) but that first one is new to me.

Posted: 15 June 2007 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

happydog, there’s a difference between light-hearted comments in the context of an existing thread and posts made purely for silliness.  I’m all for the former (and have enjoyed many of your comments in that vein), but the latter seems to me to cross a line.  The reason for making a Wordorigins post should be to find out about a word or phrase, end of story.  It’s not my board and I don’t make the decisions; I’m just expressing my opinion.

Posted: 15 June 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4478
Joined  2007-01-03

The original intent of the Wordorigins discussion board was to pose questions and provide answers about particular words and phrases, but I deliberately made the charter wider. Pretty much any post about language is welcome (and even the occasional non-language post.) This forum is, within certain broad limits, what the group as a whole wants to make of it.

We’re not overrun by threads here; the volume of posts is not so great that it is a chore to wade through them. The odd silly thread here and there doesn’t hurt anything. If such posts get to be a problem, I’ll start policing and eliminating them or perhaps create a “wordplay” forum that people can post to and those not interested can ignore. But I don’t see any need to do anything yet.

Posted: 15 June 2007 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-07

I actually feel my post was completely on topic. I was surprised when researching the word to find that the original sense was hoax and I thought what better way to have a little fun with the word fun and to provoke a discussion than to perpetrate a harmless little hoax of my own. After all, I did point to the original meaning so I was confident that someone would search it out and post it. If they hadn’t, I would have done so.

I think it makes perfect sense to have a little fun with the word fun, but I’m just expressing my opinion.

Posted: 15 June 2007 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

Which, of course, you’re just as much entitled to do as the next one, which happens to be me. 

I’m all for lightening up.  In fact, too much seriousness on this board turns me into a rebellious teenager in all but age.  The drier and more serious it becomes, the sillier I become; stop me from being silly and I’ll simply disappear into the ethernet.  This challenge will probably prove irresistible to my sworn enemies, who will, even as you read this, be constructing clever little traps to lure me into enough silliness to get me banned.

Silly, by the way, has quite an interesting history. It’s from OE, and evolved via ME seely which meant happy (someone will correct my silliness if it didn’t - wait for it ...), then it went on to mean poor, weak, unsophisticated.  It all got a bit silly.  Fun stuff.

Fun in Afrikaans is pret.

Posted: 15 June 2007 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Well, all right, I’ll recalibrate my meters.  The last thing I want is to have Eliza disappear into the ethernet.

Posted: 17 June 2007 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2007-02-14

And the fact that the Dutch cognate of ‘silly’, viz. ‘zalig’, means ‘blessed’ may be regarded as an other stimulant I guess.

Pret is used in Dutch too, btw.

Posted: 17 June 2007 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2007-02-15
Dutchtoo - 17 June 2007 07:39 AM

And the fact that the Dutch cognate of ‘silly’, viz. ‘zalig’, means ‘blessed’ may be regarded as an other stimulant I guess.

Pret is used in Dutch too, btw.

I always equated ‘zielig’ and ‘sul’ with silly in Dutch.

‘Zalig’ and ‘ziel’ are closely related, which just goes to show how silly zeal is.

1 of 2

‹‹ On a roll      Circolwyrde Wordhord ››