Hanging a doughnut
Posted: 16 June 2007 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2007-02-17

I’ve just come across this phrase for being pregnant on another forum, used by someone from the UK. Google turns up a few hits. Is anyone else familiar with it, and how recent is it?

Posted: 20 June 2007 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-02-17

Are you sure it was used to mean “pregnant”? Jonathon Green’s Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang (2e) has as sense 3 under “doughnut” n. “[1980s] of a woman, a state of sexual excitement, supposedly the vaginal equivalent of the penile erection.”

Green’s work is not always reliable, though. If you want to get an idea of how he can go wrong, look under all the entries for “doughnut” and you’ll find “doughnut” v. “[1970s+] (Aus./US teen) to make an automobile spin by pulling on the hand-brake. The vehicle in question is usu. stolen.”

There are at least three things wrong with that. One, there’s no entry for the noun form of the verb, which is far more common in the US. We’d say “do a doughnut/make doughnuts/do doughnuts.”

Two, it’s not always nor, in my experience, most often done with the hand-brake. The definition is overly specific and needs to be more general.

Three, “usu. stolen” is ridiculously overly specific and most likely wrong, too boot. Again, the definition needs to be more general.

I’ll have to ask Green the next time I see him if his entry is merely a memory of his own youthful shenanigans (though he’s British) and not gathered from citation evidence. Joshing between lexicographers makes dictionaries better. :)

Signature 

Double-Tongued Dictionary, a dictionary of slang, jargon, and new words from the fringes of English.
A Way with Words, a lively public radio show about language.

Posted: 20 June 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2807
Joined  2007-01-31

Googling turns up only 8 distinctive entries (i.e., with the duplicative hits suppressed)for “hanging a doughnut”.  One is this thread, a couple seem to refer to sports scores (doughnut = zero, I’m guessing without looking closely), one refers to actually hanging a doughnut from a string, and four refer to being pregnant.  None refer to sexual excitation.

Edit: If you spell it “… donut”, there are fewer hits, but all refer to pregnancy.

[ Edited: 20 June 2007 01:05 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 21 June 2007 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2007-03-05

Never come across it in either context in any bits of the UK I frequent.

Posted: 21 June 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2007-02-17

You can see the original exchange here. The person who used it did use the spelling ‘donut’, for what it’s worth, and none of the others on the thread (all British) had heard it either.

Posted: 21 June 2007 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2807
Joined  2007-01-31

Given the paucity of Google hits, I’d say it’s a fairly rare expression on either side of the pond.  And FWIW I don’t see the logic behind it, either.

Posted: 31 August 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-14

Hello.

It comes from a BBC sitcom called Men Behaving Badly: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcZRUVNBfM

Thanks

Nik

Posted: 31 August 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4658
Joined  2007-01-03

According to IMDB, that episode aired 26 December 1998. Are any of the citations older than that?

If not, given the scene which is about absurd slang, I would hazard a guess that it was the creation of the screenwriters.

‹‹ Vesta Cases      brings it ››