HD: Dialect Blog, Acting, and Accents
Posted: 10 August 2011 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4607
Joined  2007-01-03

An excellent site and a topic we’ve hashed over before.

Posted: 10 August 2011 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-20

Quick question:

I recently discussed this subject with an actress (I can’t recall her name) who assured me that the most difficult (UK) accent to reproduce was the Norfolk accent. It is a tough one, and I’m happy to take her word for it (and note that every time I’ve heard a radio play set in Norfolk the accents have been amusingly poor - but that probably obtains when anyone hears an accent they grew up with mangled) ... but I wish to know more.

Which accent from the American continent do you think is most difficult, and can you point to good and bad examples?

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2990
Joined  2007-02-26

Which accent from the American continent do you think is most difficult, and can you point to good and bad examples?
--

Most people make a total hash of Arutani.

Posted: 12 August 2011 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2011-04-10

I suspect that whichever accent might most abruptly appear imperfect to someone would be the one (or ones) they cut their teeth on. 

(Linguists, aside, of course.)

I am continually astonished anew by the level of skill and perfection of craft of today’s actors. 

The “melting pot” metaphor comes to mind.  We indeed live in interesting times.

[ Edited: 12 August 2011 08:15 PM by sobiest ]

Posted: 12 August 2011 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2007-10-20

I’m tempted to go see the new movie, Help, just to see how well they do the accents. I used to know a Southern gal who said any True Southerner should be able to pick out region and state of a Southerner by accent.

The problem is that most of us only ever get a TV version, and most accents have been altered in the newer generations by exposure to TV. It’s pretty subtle, and Americans are anxious to lose their accent when they move. I used to know a guy from the WWII generation who had the perfect Philip Marlowe voice. He was from Nebraska! My mom’s uncles each had a different way of speaking. One grew up in San Francisco and sounded like a Bostonian because his parents were English but his classmates were Irish. My grandfather had a true Californiano accent but one brother sounded like New Englander, the other moved to DC and sounded like a native East Coast metropolitan.

I once called a boat chandlery in Massachussetts and got an earful. Could hardly understand what the guy was saying.