Nitpicking
Posted: 27 August 2011 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2007-01-29

If you were to say something to me in public that was grammatically wrong and I didn’t want to embarrass you, I might have a polite word with you in private.  Can we do the same here and rather than show up people’s minor typing, spelling or grammatical errors, send them a private message or email instead?

I’m not talking about factual errors, just minor slips of a kind that most of us make in writing or typing.

Posted: 27 August 2011 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

I am always glad, and grateful, to be corrected.

Posted: 28 August 2011 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

As I suspect you know, that’s not the point I’m making. If I make errors of judgement, content or style, then I expect to be taken to task for it, or at least have it queried, publicly.  Intellectual rigour, after all, is what draws many of us to this forum.  Some people may wince at minor errors, but common courtesy means they refrain from drawing attention to them publicly.  It doesn’t mean they haven’t noticed them, just that they haven’t commented publicly.

A poster who refuses to listen and amend, however, might find that common courtesy does have its limits.

Posted: 28 August 2011 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

I did miss your point, and I think this was partly because of my insensitivity but partly because of your somewhat indirect phrasing.

You are _advocating_ that we use PM or email for such corrections, rather than doing it in forum.

Posted: 28 August 2011 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4752
Joined  2007-01-03

For the record, I have no objection to people pointing out my typos on this forum. In fact, I prefer to receive such corrections here rather than by private message or email, which require more steps to go from message to correcting the error.

Others, however, may think differently. And there is a difference between pointing out a minor error and taking someone to task for an error. I agree with Eliza the latter should be done privately if at all. Although, I don’t see a major problem with the latter on these forums. It happens occasionally, but not all that often.

[ Edited: 28 August 2011 03:41 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 28 August 2011 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2007-02-14

In Dave’s case, I believe most of the corrections involved are for articles he has presented in a form to be seen by the general public.  If it were me, I would appreciate any extra set of proofreading eyes for things like that and I’m sure that’s mostly what Dave is saying here.  Minor typos here on this forum should be ignored unless they cause substantial confusion in the part of the reader.  Some, however, are so funny that it is difficult for some of us to refrain from publicly giggling about them.

Posted: 28 August 2011 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3507
Joined  2007-01-29

Obviously, people differ in this regard.  I don’t mind having my typos pointed out, and clearly Dave doesn’t either.  Equally clearly, Eliza does, and I for one will refrain from mentioning any typos she makes.

Posted: 28 August 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

What Dave and hat said.

Posted: 28 August 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Equally clearly, Eliza does

No, no, no! I am NOT speaking about comments made about my typos etc, even though there haven’t been many comments so hopefully there haven’t been too many mistakes, either.  (I try to check my work thoroughly, but mistakes do creep in).  I just don’t like to think that ANYONE’s typos and minor spelling mistakes are pointed out in public because I happen to think it shows a lack of common courtesy. 

As Dave himself once said, don’t say online what you wouldn’t say to someone’s face, and I wouldn’t dream of insulting someone by publicising their minor mistakes.  But maybe I’m just way behind the times and what I was brought up to think is inconsiderate, is now viewed differently by everyone else, or at least the people who’ve commented here. 

Have I made my point clear now?

Posted: 29 August 2011 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

"I just don’t like to think that ANYONE’s typos and minor spelling mistakes are pointed out in public because I happen to think it shows a lack of common courtesy.  “

Ah well, I disagree entirely. I don’t think such corrections are, in themselves, discourteous.

Posted: 29 August 2011 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Shouting to someone across a crowded room that their fly’s undone isn’t discourteous?

I have nothing more to add.

Posted: 29 August 2011 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3507
Joined  2007-01-29

Shouting to someone across a crowded room that their fly’s undone isn’t discourteous?

No one is doing that.

Posted: 29 August 2011 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

--

Completely changing the topic sometimes is.