2 of 2
pronunciation, its evolution over time
Posted: 21 September 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2011-04-10

Thanks to Dr._T. for checking his copies of Gardner’s book.  My memory was faulty; this is further excellent proof that memory fades. 

I also misremembered details of the Spider Robinson story I mentioned above. 

The Spider Robinson story was ”Mirror, rorriM, Off The Wall,” by Spider Robinson, 1977, from ”Time Travelers Strictly Cash” [a collection of Callahan’s Place stories], published in 1981. 

In the story, the reversed ambrosial liquor was nicknamed “Wonderbooze” and tasted like the legendary “Four Eye Monongahela” [invented by Oliver La Farge in a 1957 story, Spud and Cochise]

There was no mushroom-shaped cloud. 

...Trevor unstopped the bung. A clear ten feet away, a fly intersected an imaginary circle drawn round the bunghole. The fly went down like a shot up Stuka, raising a small cloud of sawdust from the floor when it hit. The nondescript stranger tilted the barrel, ...

Later, the fly was resurrected (the reversed liquor had great power):

...and it got pretty drunk out. I remember walking over to where the fly lay dead on the sawdust, dipping my finger into my glass and letting a drop of Wonderbooze fall onto the fly. At once he rose from the floor in a series of angry spirals, spraying sawdust, and I swear he shouldered me aside on his way out the door. The conversation got a little hard to follow, then. ...

In the story, the fact that alcohol is a symmetrical molecule was brought up, as was the food issue leading to malnutrition.  I enjoyed the ‘mushroom-shaped cloud’ false memory, though…

Posted: 22 September 2011 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3411
Joined  2007-01-29

Mickey Maloney raised his head
When a bottle of whiskey flew at him;
It missed, and falling on the bed
The liquor scattered over Tim.
Tim revives, see how he rises!
Timothy rising from the bed:
Whirl your whiskey around like blazes!
Thanum an Dhul, d’ye think I’m dead?