RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2860
Joined  2007-01-31

HE KNOWS!

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

Actually, you don’t have control. Facebook is doing its own editing of what it deems worthy of showing up in any particular newsfeed.

The only change (so far) to the News Feed is that Facebook is deciding which posts to feature at the top of the list. That doesn’t change the fact that your News Feed is generated by the postings of your Facebook friends, and since you have total control over who your friends are on Facebook, you have control over what you see. Besides the fact that you can simply “unsubscribe” from any of your friend’s news feeds and you will no longer see them. You can also hide just certain kinds of posts (like game announcements).

Hover your mouse over any announcement on your News Feed and click on the arrow that appears at the top right of the post for options. If you don’t see the “unsubscribe” item, you should see something like “Hide posts by (name).” I’m a Facebook developer so I’ve been hooked into the new profile changes for weeks now and I forget exactly how it all used to look.

The new “lists” feature allows you to create custom feeds of your choosing. For example, I have a list for family members and another for close friends and another for everyone else. Total control.

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  821
Joined  2007-06-20

Well, no, I’m sorry, HD, it doesn’t give ‘total control’, Facebook is still deciding what IT thinks are top stories from my FB friends, and they bear no resemblance at all to what I think are top stories: despite more than a week of me clicking on the little blue triangle on the left that marks a “top story” under FB’s criteria, and FB then telling me “we’ll try not to put stories like this at the top of your newsfeed any more”, I STILL get pictures of people’s breakfast and the like shite appearing as “top stories”. (And yes, maybe I need to defriend people who would make such posts - but that’s beside the point that I don’t seem to be able to control what Facebook wants to make my “top stories”.)

Posted: 03 October 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2007-02-26

"That doesn’t change the fact that your News Feed is generated by the postings of your Facebook friends, and since you have total control over who your friends are on Facebook, you have control over what you see. “

This seems like something of a reach. If you had total control over it, you could decide to keep all your friends and have no ticker at all, but that would seem heartless.

Posted: 03 October 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4809
Joined  2007-01-03

Not to mention that some items aren’t showing up in my newsfeed at all. Facebook is selecting out things it doesn’t want me to see. I find them when I click over to my friends’ profiles.

And there is zero control over the ticker. (The feature that allows you to “Facebook while on Facebook.") You can’t even get rid of the damn thing.

What I’d like is to unsubscribe from the “Top Items” feature. But it doesn’t allow me to do that either.

[ Edited: 03 October 2011 04:57 PM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 04 October 2011 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3537
Joined  2007-01-29

I haven’t even noticed the change, but that’s doubtless because of the primitive way I use FB: a couple times a day, I go there, zip down to the bottom, and scan quickly up, looking for any interesting/amusing bits that anyone has posted.  I never post anything myself, and I don’t care what’s in what position on the page.

Posted: 04 October 2011 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

That’s the problem with the Top Items feature. It makes it difficult to tell where you last left off. You see items that you’ve read before and stop reading, not realizing that there are newer items further down the page.

I’ve also found that the so-called “top items” are generally less interesting than stuff FB thinks is lower priority. For instance, I’ve got a few friends who constantly post all sorts of unimportant minutia (not really “crap,” if that were the case, I’d hide them), but I’m generally much more interested in the update from the friend who rarely posts. That’s more likely to contain something of note. But FB assigns lower priority to those that don’t participate much, or who are more selective in who they friend. Those are the people who usually have something worthwhile to say.

that’s doubtless because of the primitive way I use FB

I wouldn’t call it “primitive.” I’d call it a personal preference. The FB user-interface philosophy is to shoehorn everyone into a way of using the site that they think is optimal. The problem is that it isn’t optimal for the way a lot of users want to use the site. For a personal-services site like FB, you should give users the maximum flexibility in customizing the interface so it appears the way they want it to appear.

[ Edited: 04 October 2011 05:59 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1195
Joined  2007-02-14
Dave Wilton - 03 October 2011 04:55 PM

And there is zero control over the ticker. (The feature that allows you to “Facebook while on Facebook.") You can’t even get rid of the damn thing.

If the ticker is that thing in the upper right corner that rolls over so fast (depending, I suppose, on how many friends you have) you have trouble keeping up with it, you have complete control over whether you look at it or not.

Edit:  I see it says it’s the ticker.  I guess that shows how good I am at ignoring it.

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 02:57 AM by Faldage ]

Posted: 05 October 2011 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

you have complete control over whether you look at it or not.

But the ticker, along with the list of online friends (another feature I have no use for, although I imagine others find it useful), takes up valuable screen real estate. Having the screen cluttered with crap you don’t use is a major annoyance. Why the hell FB doesn’t give us the option just to turn the damn things off is beyond me. That’s UI design 101.

Posted: 05 October 2011 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1195
Joined  2007-02-14

In my case it seems to have taken up space from something else that I ignored.  YMMV.

Posted: 07 October 2011 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2007-02-26

Okay, so I have discovered you can actually get rid of the ticker.

Posted: 07 October 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

How? Thousands are asking.

Posted: 07 October 2011 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2011-04-10

Make that thousands plus one. 

Also, I am irritated with the days-recent stupidity with q00qule.  I can’t find the old cache option, the url’s are directly under the served item’s link-title, the useless (to me) ‘instant’ is default on unless I use cumbersome tricks. 

I can make it useful again, with the url at the bottom of the served item along with cached and similar both reappearing but then I can’t turn off the ‘filter my results’ default. What does it actually filter, pron? Politically incorrect sites? Is the filter dynamic, based on what I didn’t click on in the last few pages?  AAaarrrrgh!  Seems as if the entire intent is to cause me to spend more time on their results page.  <insert strong curse here>

Maybe lionello was on track, the entire internet “might in fact [all] be figments of the imagination of a psychotic 11-year old supergenius somewhere in Asia...] and he/she/it is known to us as “q00qule”

No wonder they offed Philip K. Dick! They would never have been successful in implementing their twisted scheme because Horselover Fat would have exposed it… wait… VALIS?*

* “Vast Active Living Intelligence System”

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

What does it actually filter, pron?

It filters based on a profile it compiles of you. The exact algorithm is secret-squirrel stuff, and constantly changing, but basically it makes a guess based on your location, what you’ve clicked on before, and whatever info Google has on you. Google can even figure out if you’re googling from a public computer, like in a library.

For most searches, this is really great. For example, once while sitting in class,* I realized I needed new sneakers and googled “Toronto sneakers” and up popped an athletic shoe store right next door that I didn’t know existed. (I could probably have left off the “Toronto,” since it knew my location down to about 20 meters.)

But it sucks for any kind of research (linguistic or otherwise) where you need reproducible results.

*This is why I forbid those in my tutorial sections from using computers.

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2011-04-10

I guess even if one manages to “turn filtering off” search results are still filtered

Would a disposable entity with a “one-shot” history, i.e., “no history,” no fixed location, and no fixed browser footprint whatsoever avoid this evil that is done? 

Short answer: NO!

Is there a long answer?  ?

I await the secret Gesichtsbuch information from OP_T on how one “can actually get rid of the ticker”. 

tick. tick. tick…

2 of 3