Google penalises the Online Slang Dictionary
Posted: 20 December 2011 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2007-04-28

What is this all about? I found out by googling an innocuous word. Is it algorithm stuff rather than any human agency?

Posted: 20 December 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3498
Joined  2007-01-29

Sounds like paranoia to me, but maybe it’s something real.  I’ll be curious to see if anybody knows.

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4742
Joined  2007-01-03

It may be just repeated content, not any animus against the Online Slang Dictionary. There are lots of spam/SEO cites that attempt to regurgitate content from high-scoring sites in an attempt to gain more traffic. It may be that the Google algorithm has some criteria for a ratio of original to quoted content.

Posted: 24 December 2011 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

Dave’s exactly right.

The site is poorly structured from an SEO point of view. The polls are simply pictures as far as Google is concerned, the ads eat up a lot of space, the “tweets that contain” plugin is auto-generated content (something Google particularly dislikes) and frankly, unless you have definitions that no one else has, then you’re simply in a battle of the PageRank to see who gets the better SERPs.

Bottom line: the guy’s in a tough market and he needs to compete more effectively.

People love to whine about Panda. It happened, it’s the new order, get over it. Build a better site.