America
Posted: 12 February 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-12

I’ve argued and discussed the origins of the name..America...never am I going to believe that it was from Amerigo Vespucci...ever! But Teachers and Professors
only repeat what they were told..right or wrong, in this case totally wrong...and keep perpetuating the false statement.
Within in the last 6 months or so, I finally read where the name America came from...of course I was too dumb to make notes of my reading.
Soooo...I hope someone here can help me.
The name America came from and is what the natives from Central America called their land at the time that the Spaniards came. How it ever got bastardized and attributed to Amerigo Vespucci can only be through ignorance
...sounds kinda like....or our penchant for butchering our language.
If anyone else knows where I read this please let me know. Thanks, BfloBill

Posted: 12 February 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1188
Joined  2007-02-14

Right.  And the whole nine yards comes from the 324 column inches devoted to the theories about where the phrase the whole nine yards comes from.

Posted: 12 February 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2852
Joined  2007-01-31

I’m pretty sure that I know what you’re referring to, bflobill, but I decline to assist you in your crankery, and I hope the other regulars here will feel the same way.

Posted: 12 February 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2007-02-26

"The name America came from and is what the natives from Central America called their land at the time that the Spaniards came”

Surely this is at odds with the fact that the name America originally only applied to South America, a continent that excludes Central America.

Posted: 12 February 2012 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

I think I know what you’re referring to.

In 1875 Swiss-American geologist Jules Marcou advanced a theory that the name America comes from the Amerrique Mountains in Nicaragua. The problem with Marcou’s theory is that the name Amerrique isn’t attested before 1874. English geographer Thomas Belt wrote a book on American geography that year and used the name. Marcou read it and based his theory on that. The problem is, that no one had heard the name before Belt recorded it in his book. No one took Marcou seriously, not even Belt, who couldn’t identify where he’d gotten the name from. But Marcou continued to tout his theory and it eventually caught on in some fringe circles. But it is pretty obvious that the mountains were named for America sometime in the nineteenth century and not vice versa. (Allen Walker Read. “The Claims for a Native Source of of the Name America.” America—Naming the Country and Its People. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellon Press. 2001)

America is absolutely, positively named after Amerigo Vespucci. Seldom in etymology do we have such absolutely clear evidence as we do for this fact. In this case, we’ve got the testimony of Martin Waldseemueller, the man who coined the name in 1507, explaining exactly why he named the new continents after Vespucci.

But if you’ve got actual evidence that America is not named for Vespucci, please present it. If it’s for real, there are any number of peer-reviewed journals that would be salivating over the chance to publish it. You’d be famous. (I’d like to promise you wealth and riches, too. But this is the word business. A small modicum of fame is all we have to offer.)

Posted: 13 February 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2007-02-26

You’ll be able to buy your grandma that eye operation, or at least some eyedrops.

Posted: 13 February 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3524
Joined  2007-01-29

I agree with Dr. T—no point encouraging crankery.

Posted: 13 February 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2031
Joined  2007-02-19

Does anyone apart from one suspicious, cranky old grouch suspect that we are being made game of?

Posted: 13 February 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-12

GEEZ...Is this a nice way to welcome someone new into your website? Ask a question and half the people who answer, don’t have one and can only mock the person asking the question,....if you don’t have an answer ...keep quiet!
BfloBill

Posted: 13 February 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2011-04-10

...But if you’ve got actual evidence that America is not named for Vespucci, please present it. If it’s for real, there are any number of peer-reviewed journals that would be salivating over the chance to publish it. You’d be famous. (I’d like to promise you wealth and riches, too. But this is the word business. A small modicum of fame is all we have to offer.)

With an eye toward becoming modicomically famous, I tender the following theory:

Space aliens, overheard while piloting craft to and from the intergalactically famous Nazcar landing site in the middle of a dust storm during a thunderstorm near dusk on a hot summer day: “Eh… murky, eh?”

...Canadian space aliens?

Posted: 13 February 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2007-03-21

DNFTT

Posted: 14 February 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3524
Joined  2007-01-29

What Oeco said.

Posted: 14 February 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]