Green’s Dictionary of Slang
Posted: 04 March 2012 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2007-01-03

Woohoo!

The U of T libraries finally have access to the online version. No more trekking onto campus to use the one and only print version.

(I found a copy at Moe’s Books when I was in Berkeley last weekend and was tempted to buy it, but it was still too expensive and I would have had the problem of getting the three large volumes home to Toronto. So glad I didn’t shell out the bucks for it.)

Posted: 04 March 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2308
Joined  2007-01-30

Intro from the site so we can all read and gaze enviously in Dave’s direction.

Green’s Dictionary of Slang is an unprecedented 10.3 million-word collection of the impertinent, vile, censored, hip, witty, and fascinating slang words of the English language. Covering five centuries of innovation in all English-speaking regions of the world, the Dictionary is the most authoritative, scholarly approach to slang ever attempted. Over 100,000 words are defined; each word is authenticated by genuine and full-referenced citations of its use. This is a remarkable work by the leading slang lexicographer of our time.

I would dearly love this set on my shelves but the £738 pricetag on Amazon cries yahboosucks to all such fond hopes.

Posted: 04 March 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

Not sure where you’re getting your pricing info, but when I go to amazon.co.uk I find the price is £250. I know Amazon’s prices vary over time, but I didn’t think they did so wildly.

When you find an absurdly priced book Amazon, it’s often worthwhile to check the price at the company’s other national sites, where it often can be found for far less, even when you add in shipping and duty. As a general rule, I find the prices at the US site tend to be lower, but it varies with individual books.

Currently at the US site Green’s is US $650 (£410). At the Canadian site it is CDN $470 (£300). So it looks like right now, amazon.co.uk is the place to buy it, but for us Canadians the additional shipping cost from the UK would wipe out the savings. (The used edition I found, which was essentially new, was US $325.)

Posted: 04 March 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2308
Joined  2007-01-30

Here’s the Amazon UK link which has the £738 price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greens-Dictionary-Slang-Three-14-Feb-2011/dp/B005K49MYG

You’re right. If I go to Amazon UK and search from there I get the £250 price. Searching from Google for Green’s Dictionary of Slang, which I did initially, brings up the Amazon UK link with the £738 price (3rd link down in the list). That’s odd.

[ Edited: 04 March 2012 08:32 AM by aldiboronti ]

Posted: 04 March 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

That’s a used book. For some reason all the used copies on amazon.co.uk are absurdly priced. There are funky things that go on with the pricing of Amazon’s used books; this is just one example.

‹‹ HD: 1956 Words      Firework names ››