2 of 2
HD: 1961 Words
Posted: 21 March 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  2007-01-30

There are copyright issues at work here, I think. I know Dave is in Canada, I’m in the UK and OP is in Australia. It seems that Google is only serving up the full book to the US and it’s buggering about with the snippet views too. There is no sign of the phrase born-again Christian in the image I see in lh’s post and when I click the link I do not get a scrollable full view, just the cover of the mag and snippets when I search. I know that Google works out copyright agreements country by country and I’ve run into this before.

Here’s an explanation from Wikipedia:

For users outside the United States, though, Google must be sure that the work in question is indeed out of copyright under local laws. According to a member of the Google Books Support Team, “Since whether a book is in the public domain can often be a tricky legal question, we err on the side of caution and display at most a few snippets until we have determined that the book has entered the public domain."[3] Users outside the United States can however access a large number of public domain books scanned by Google using copies stored on the Internet Archive.

[ Edited: 21 March 2012 06:40 AM by aldiboronti ]

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3136
Joined  2007-02-26

I see a bunch of text, which does not contain the phrase “born-again”.
In fact, if you look in my third image, you see the text window exactly as it appears when I see it in your post above. (Starts at “Rest Luke” and ends at “and therefore").
And when I click on _that_ text box, nothing happens (ie it is not zoomable, scrollable ... I just get that thing.)
So I think we’ve established that no one is crazy but we are having different interface experiences.

(Update for aldi, actually I’m in Singapore now, but you appear to have found the answer)

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

Perhaps some kindly person in the US of A can take a screenshot of the text in question and (as I have done) upload it somewhere so that we can all enjoy it.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3525
Joined  2007-01-29

How bizarre!  I guess I’ll have to stop relying on those clipped bits, which I thought were so dandy.  If I knew how to take screenshots, I’d do it, but I trust someone more technologically sophisticated will do so.

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2007-03-21
OP Tipping - 21 March 2012 06:43 AM

Perhaps some kindly person in the US of A can take a screenshot of the text in question and (as I have done) upload it somewhere so that we can all enjoy it.

Can you see the attached? The grey outlining is where the text in question is.

[ Edited: 21 March 2012 07:14 AM by Oecolampadius ]
Image Attachments
bornagain.JPG

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

Thank!

Nice that the hyphen is at the right margin, leaving us pondering whether it is actually “bornagain”. ;-)

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  2007-01-30

Yes, thank you, Oeco, I can see that fine.

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2853
Joined  2007-01-31

I saw LH’s original citation without problem.  I concur that Google’s copyright precautions are the source of the difficulties.

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4790
Joined  2007-01-03

Yup, I think it’s the international copyright that is screwing this up. I even get the same results when I go to google.com as opposed to google.ca, which means that Google is filtering by where they deliver the data as opposed to which of their servers you request it from.

I would use a US-based VPN (which would also allow me to watch Jon Stewart clips, which are denied to Canadians--you have to go through the Canadian site to see them, which means all the links posted by bloggers in the US break when viewed from Canada). But I don’t think I can use both VPN and the proxy via the university servers which gives me access to all the databases.

2 of 2

‹‹ semantogenic      Shakespeare as he was spoke ››