Attaching snippets of what you’re viewing in Windows
Posted: 21 March 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1253
Joined  2007-03-21

My 10-year old grandson showed me this trick.

There is a little tool in most versions of Windows since XP called a “snipping tool” that can snip any part of the window you are viewing and save it as a jpg file. It is under “accessories” on my Vista machine.

Once you’ve saved it to your own machine, begin to write a new note, there is an “Attachment” button at the bottom of the editing screen on your note in expression engine. Click on that button then find the saved jpg file on your machine and upload it to your note.

Preview gives you an odd look at it, but it then seems to be OK when you post the note. Looks like you are permitted 3 attachment per note totaling 75 KB.

I don’t have a Mac, so this only relates to Windows.

Image Attachments
Capture1.JPG

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2007-01-31

I see an attached image, but I’m not sure if it’s displaying correctly on my machine.

It’s an image of the following text:

he, begin to write a new note, th
pression engine. Click on that bu

it then seems to be OK when yo
to Windows.

Actually, the letters on the right and left edges are only partial, being severed vertically by the borders.
I’m just wondering if this is what you actually snipped, since you were (quite reasonably) not concerned about actually producing an informative snip, but just demonstrating the technique, or does this indicate that what you see is not what I get, possibly because I’m using a Mac?

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

While I’m at it, how does this work?  Can everybody see it?

Image Attachments
SIASL.jpg

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1253
Joined  2007-03-21

I can see it fine. And yes, I just snipped an incoherent piece so show a sample. That’s how it looks to me as well.

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4604
Joined  2007-01-03

How to use the snipping tool:

Image Attachments
Capture.JPG

Posted: 21 March 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1154
Joined  2007-02-14

My LInux distro has a version of screen shot that allows me to choose a window and set the boundaries of it as part of the screen grab process.  There’s a similar thing on Mac OS X, too.

Posted: 21 March 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2007-01-29

See, my grandson’s not quite eight, that’s why I don’t know these things yet.  Thanks for the tip!

Posted: 21 March 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2007-01-30

I see both Oeco’s and Doc’s images just fine. You have a bright young grandson there, Oeco.

Posted: 21 March 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

There’s a similar thing on Mac OS X, too.

It’s called “Grab”, and it’s what I used to create my clip.  However, Grab only saves its clippings in TIFF format (at least in the version I have), and the WO site won’t allow uploading of images in that format.  I had to use another application to convert the image to JPEG before it would let me upload it.