RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4658
Joined  2007-01-03

Internet, Dungeons and Dragons, and Kevlar

Posted: 17 May 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2807
Joined  2007-01-31

Nikkei, n. In 1974 the (Japan Economic Journal) took over calculation of the index of the Tokyo stock market, and the index took on an acronymic name Nikkei based the newspaper’s name.

It looks like the Japanese version of the paper’s name was omitted.

Posted: 17 May 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1258
Joined  2007-03-21

Right. It would be good to have that

The index was originally calculated (from 1949) by the Tokyo Stock Exchange itself, but from 1974 it has been calculated by Nihon Keizai Shimbun, the Japan Economic Journal.

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2012-01-10

It is perhaps worth noting that “slow food” is not simply an antonym for fast food, at least as the term “fast food” is commonly used (i.e., by those who don’t follow the slow food movement).

Here’s a Wikipedia link:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/slow_food

As far as I can tell, (but I am certainly not an expert on this topic), to members of the slow food movement, any mass produced, mass grown, and/or heavily processed food is “fast food”, even if you buy some ingredients from a grocery chain store and prepare a meal yourself.  So, for example, if I bought some tomatoes, flour, eggs, herbs, and ground beef from a local grocery store and whipped up some pasta, using hand rolled noodles and a home-made sauce from an old family recipe, this would still be “fast food” because i made it out of ingredients that are all products of large-scale agribusiness. (but maybe the less austere slow foodies would give me partial credit for at least cooking the food the “slow” way).

It seems likely that the slow food founder played off of “fast food” in the traditional sense of food from McDonald’s, etc. (and the generally negative associations with such food, even by those who frequently eat it!) in coining a name for his movement, but somebody who doesn’t like to eat food from a fast food chain is not necessarily a “slow food” adherent.

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2007-01-29

It’s probably not clear to people who haven’t studied Japanese that Nikkei is simply a combination of the initial syllables of Nihon Keizai (ni(tsu) + kei = nikkei), with the final consonant of ni(tsu) doubling the following voiceless consonant.  Similarly, ni(tsu) + hon = Nippon (when it doesn’t wind up as Nihon; see here under “Word History” for the details).

Posted: 17 May 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3026
Joined  2007-02-26

I had no idea about the origin of the name Soweto. Hah!

‹‹ World music      For Potential Lexicographers ››