RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4691
Joined  2007-01-03

Bork, patient zero, and Gorbymania

Posted: 18 June 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  2007-01-29

hella, adv. and adj. This North American slang term is an intensifier, meaning “very, exceedingly,” that is first recorded in Toronto in 1987, but which does not have any particular regional association, being used throughout Canada and the United States.

--

It most certainly does have “particular regional association”; the Wikipedia article starts off “Hella is a word associated with Northern California, mainly the Bay Area” and continues “According to lexicographer Allan A. Metcalf, the word is a marker of Northern California dialect.” I have never heard it from an East Coast native—which is not to say, of course, that no East Coast native uses it, but “used throughout Canada and the United States” is grossly misleading.

Posted: 18 June 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1991
Joined  2007-02-19

greenwash

This was my first encounter with “greenwash”. What a superbly apposite term for one of the standard pack of lies used by marketing wordsmiths.  Perhaps by analogy, “dietwash” could be used, to refer to the use of another ace in that pack.....

Posted: 18 June 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2816
Joined  2007-01-31

I’ve never encountered “hella” in the Midwest or my patch of the South midlands.  (Actually, the only place I can recall hearing it is on South Park, where Cartman used it a lot in an episode or two, to the annoyance of the other characters.)

‹‹ 1986 Words      50 Words For Rain ››