2 of 2
“Bespoke” (adj.) in US
Posted: 23 June 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

Yes, I realized that but I still don’t get it.

Posted: 23 June 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21
ElizaD - 23 June 2012 10:04 AM

Yes, I realized that but I still don’t get it.

A lilting tone of voice and ironic smile is missing from the post. Perhaps a wink.

Anyway, the links in that old post I linked to are corrupted. The original thread where the word was created (and Dave spewed coffee on his screen) is here. It begins with Podkayne asking:

I’ve experienced that many times--nevahoiduvvit, then suddenly it’s everywhere I look. Could be a word, a phrase, a concept. I feel like that character in Catch 22 spotting Yossarian up a tree, naked: it’s not deja vu, because I haven’t seen it before; not jamais vu (never seen, Eliza), because I do see it now; nor presque vu (almost seen) because I definitely did see it...so maybe the French don’t have a word, but is there one in English?

A psychologist might say that it is simply a heightened awareness, but dang it, I want a specific word.

It started in another thread with me saying that I had never heard of the word “fibonnaci” before and then read it twice in one day. Pod asks if there is a word for that. I was just repeating that scenario in my failed note. TMI?

Posted: 23 June 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1880
Joined  2007-02-19

Guess the joke was too feeble even for my feeble mind....

;-)

Ed. (and it didn’t soar. It put-putted faintly)

[ Edited: 23 June 2012 12:50 PM by lionello ]

Posted: 25 June 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  770
Joined  2007-03-01

Coming back to the original subject: here in Rightpondia bespoke has acquired a wider metaphorical usage, akin to tailor-made. Travel companies offer ‘bespoke holidays’ as opposed to off-the-shelf package deals, for example.

Posted: 25 June 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2222
Joined  2007-01-30

One gathers from a quick look through US tailoring sites that custom tailors is the equivalent American term.

Posted: 25 June 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

Oecolampadius, I owe you an apology. In the course of our contacts in this forum, I had developed an image of you - as a candid sort of person, straightforward, even somewhat ingenuous, wholly free of wile and guile. It did not occur to me that you might be an individual of subtle, yea Machiavellian, wit. Thus was I misled into taking literally, your remarks about serendipity. How wrong can a person be?  I regret my ill-natured crack about your jest “only put-putting” --- truly, as languagehat pointed out, the wit zoomed high over my head. From now on, I shall put on my analytical spectacles, and read between the lines of your every post, searching for the subtle innuendo*, the sly double entendre...... and meanwhile, I ask your pardon, for having so devastatingly underestimating you. 

* (My brother-in-law Sam says, by the way, that “innuendo” means “an Italian suppository")

;-)

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

(My brother-in-law Sam says, by the way, that “innuendo” means “an Italian suppository")

;-)

Love it! And will use it.

Not to worry Lionello. And thanks!

Posted: 26 June 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

Only use it in a medical emergency, Oeco—suppositories can be strong medicine

;-)

Posted: 17 July 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2007-02-26

Only use it in a medical emergency, Oeco—suppositories can be strong medicine

;-)
----

Putting the anal back into analgesia.

Posted: 17 July 2012 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2007-02-26

Was that “Sorry for not being clearer about the joke” or “Sorry, I forgot about diegogarcity”?  Because if it’s the latter, I join OP in his ROFL.

I was ROFLing because I assumed the former to be the case.

2 of 2

‹‹ HD: 1988 Words      OED citations missing ››