Neuro-linguistic Programming
Posted: 27 July 2007 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  693
Joined  2007-02-07

One of my fellow amateur magicians gave me a book on NLP that is very interesting. He uses the concepts to develop more effective patter. I don’t know how legitimate the science is (frankly some of it seems pretty dodgy to me), but I’ve been experimenting with “mirroring” as a way to build rapport and I’m finding it very effective.

Simply being aware of the concepts has made me a better listener and has improved my communication skills. Another particularly effective technique that I’ve been using is to take in what someone says and give it back as an emotion.

“My boss was really rude to me today.”

“Yes, that sort of thing always makes you feel bad even when you know it isn’t because of something you’ve done.”

I’m sure many of you have heard of NLP before (I hadn’t), but I thought some might find it interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

Posted: 27 July 2007 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-02-17

I think Wikipedia sums up well the problems with NLP, though my own particular problem with it is that it shares an acronym with “Natural Language Processing,” which means I receive Google alerts for the wrong NLP all the time.

In my narrow, lightly informed view of this particular NLP, the main advantage seems to be that it teaches a person to listen, to think before speaking, and to consider the thoughts and feelings of other people. There are many philosophies, religions, books, gurus, and the like which teach similar behaviors, but if this one works to make you a better person, then great.

But for God’s (or whoever’s) sake, don’t go on about it. Personal victories are undiscovered beaches: they’re ruined when you talk about them.

Signature 

Double-Tongued Dictionary, a dictionary of slang, jargon, and new words from the fringes of English.
A Way with Words, a lively public radio show about language.

Posted: 28 July 2007 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  693
Joined  2007-02-07

No victories here, personal or otherwise. I simply think NLP is an interesting way to think about language and communication. It was new to me and I thought I would share it with people who might be interested. Nothing more.

Posted: 29 July 2007 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-02-17

Gotcha, Happydog. My plea was targeted at the population at large rather than at anyone in particular.

Signature 

Double-Tongued Dictionary, a dictionary of slang, jargon, and new words from the fringes of English.
A Way with Words, a lively public radio show about language.