13.Spain
14.Philipinnes
15.Bangladesh
16.India
17.Saudi Arabia
18.Germany
19.Netherlands
20.Italy
Each person can choose one country and find the origins for them.Thanks! :)

Posted: 28 July 2007 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-02-24

You should learn to do some research on your own, Etymosgirl. You could start with Google. Type in “country name origins”. I found this link right away:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_name_etymologies

Posted: 28 July 2007 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2007-01-29

Standard Wikipedia warning: take with grain of salt, verify with more reliable sources if a particular etymology is of interest to you.  Hypotheses are often presented as fact; example:

Hellas/Ellas/Ellada (Greek name): land of the Hellenes, descended in mythology from Hellen; the place name has a linguistic cognate in the English verb “settle”.

The part I’ve bolded is somebody’s guess presented as fact.  I’d delete it, but I’ve got to get back to packing (we’re moving Tuesday).

Posted: 28 July 2007 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2001
Joined  2007-02-19

"There’ll always be an England,
an England that is free....”

You seem somehow to have got hold of two of them, Etymosgirl (#4, #12)--- one of them may be the one that’s free, which certainly isn’t the England I know: that one is horrendously expensive, so much so that I haven’t visited it for years. My budget’s overrun almost before I set foot outside the airport.

Many of the names you give aren’t the names of countries at all --- they’re only what English-speaking people call those countries. English-speaking people are notorious for making a hash of other people’s languages, often including names (there was once an Iranian Prime Minister whose name was spelt five different ways in five English newspapers). Not to mention their own. I know at least 3 ways of spelling Smith.

Oh, yes --- another thing about England ---- there’s a new one, on the N. E. coast of the U.S.A. I think it was the weather that made the inhabitants call it that.......

:-) ‘-) ;-)

‘fraid I can’t give you any useful advice, Etymosgirl, though my colleagues can, as you can see (the last person I gave advice to on this board ---it was damn good advice, too --- called me a bastard son of a bitch for my pains).

(sticks nose back in his third double vodka)

Posted: 29 July 2007 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4714
Joined  2007-01-03

If it weren’t July, I’d suspect a homework assignment was behind all this. And we don’t do other people’s homework assignments here at Wordorigins.

You might get a better response, etymosgirl, if you limited your request to one or two terms at a time and do some preliminary research on your own first. You can get the group to confirm what you’ve discovered and perhaps point you to alternative hypotheses and better source material.

But posting a long list and asking others to do the work isn’t a great way to get a favorable response.

Posted: 29 July 2007 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

Etymosgirl, this thread asks us all to find out for you the origins of names of countries, and your next one shares with us what you’ve decided to find out about the origins of days of the week.

What exactly is your agenda?

Posted: 29 July 2007 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2007-01-29

I get the impression she’s a high school girl who’s excited about etymology and hasn’t quite got the hang of the site, so I’m all for cutting her some slack.  But you might want to explore the site a little more before posting, etymosgirl.  You don’t want to get on people’s nerves!

Posted: 30 July 2007 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-02-24

I agree with you, LH. I think she thinks that games are what etymology is all about. It can be a game, but not on this site. Other than a funny line now and then, these folks are serious, Etymosgirl.

Oh, and my link was not to show her the best site, it was to show here one way to search. I should have been more clear. I was simply suggesting a beginning point, LH.

[ Edited: 30 July 2007 08:57 PM by Eyehawk ]

Posted: 30 July 2007 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-23

Over at Wordwizard someone with the user name etymosgirl has posted a list of many country name origins. The user profile at Wordwizard says etymosgirl is a student in Toronto.

[I was just going to let thread fall to the bottem of the page and age off but since someone pushed it back to the top I thought it might be a time to submit this informtion]