RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4474
Joined  2007-01-03

Dolphin-safe, phishing, and McMansions

Posted: 17 July 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3335
Joined  2007-01-29

chick lit, n. The depreciative term for writing aimed at a female audience makes its debut, although the thing that the word represents has been with us for centuries. The post-feminist backlash was probably a prerequisite for the invention of the term. Among the New Words dates chick lit to 1996, but the OED antedates it to 1993.

I’m not sure I understand the second sentence; could you elaborate?

Christian Identity, n. Awareness of this militant, racist, and patriarchal brand of fundamentalist Christianity came to the fore in the middle of the 1990s, although the term Christian Identity can be traced back at least as far as 1986.

The phrase needs itals in “the term Christian Identity.” (Also, who dates it to 1996, and who traces it back to 1986?)

Posted: 17 July 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2007-02-26

nanny state, n. This term for government policies seen as overprotective and interfering with personal liberty became big in the 1990s, but the OED antedates it all the way back to 1965, when nanny state was used to refer to the policies of the London County Council.

Now I’m confused. I thought you were taking these dates from the OED.

Posted: 18 July 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4474
Joined  2007-01-03

Again, because of the paucity of new words in the OED after the second edition of 1989, I’ve turned to the “Among The New Words” column in American Speech to for supplementation. ATNW is a great resource, but because it is put out rather hurriedly, and especially for the columns before 2000 when internet searches of literature started to become widely available, it can often be antedated. In many cases the a subsequent update to the OED will antedate a term that is recorded in ATNW.

Another advantage of ATNW is that it captures new senses of old words. Often these are in the OED, but new senses, as opposed to new entries, are harder to find via search.

And the reason I have so many antedates is that I’m doing this serially. A word may be antedated to 1985, but I’m not aware of it until I get to the year that ATNW records it. By then it’s too late to include for the original year. I’ll fix this when I put it out in book form.

Posted: 18 July 2012 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2007-02-26

I’m sorry.

‹‹ for the time being      HD: 1997 Words ››