The engine here is marking posts as read while I have not read them
Posted: 14 August 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

Again this morning I see that, according to the software for this forum, I have read every note in every discussion even though several of the notes came at 2 and 3 in the morning my time (US Central Standard Time) written by our friends in England. I went to those discussions and, indeed, I had not read them at all. What is the software doing?

This happens with some regularity. Does this happen to others here?

Posted: 14 August 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  2007-01-29

Not to me.  Have you done something to offend the engine?

Posted: 14 August 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2738
Joined  2007-01-31

I am not experiencing this either.  One probably not-very-helpful thought: is your system date and time set correctly?

Posted: 14 August 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

is your system date and time set correctly?

Yeah, it is. hmmm. I may well have offended ExpressionEngine. If so, let me most heartily apologize.

Posted: 15 August 2012 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4460
Joined  2007-01-03

Try logging out, clearing your cookies, and logging back in. See if that helps.

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2011-04-10

I have been confused at times with a similar issue. I often cruise by here for a quick look without logging in. I find that unless I log in when I visit, I will sometimes I see unread posts marked as read. My solution is to log in when I visit and otherwise pay no attention to the indication that threads have been marked as read.

I use proxies. It is possible that a different user has recently used the ip address the proxie assigns to me for my session. If a user (such as a robot or spider) has been searching here from the same ip address (automatically assigned by the proxie), this could happen. If I log in, then I never see any mis-marked posts.

Another possibility is that someone at your physical location is unintentionally inadvertently using your account. If you see this problem when you are logged in, maybe change your password.

I don’t see how cookies would cause this. At least not in my case.

[edit- I just logged in this morning and saw threads marked as read that I know I have not read. So what do I know?]

[ Edited: 15 August 2012 10:29 AM by sobiest ]

‹‹ Server Failure      new data storage idea ››