Oxford “-er”
Posted: 01 September 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1190
Joined  2007-04-28

I stumbled upon this wikipedia page and was surprised to learn the phenomenon had a name. Most are perceived as very snotty apart from soccer, fiver, tenner (banknotes), and a handful of the personal forms listed. (Keith Chegwin (Cheggers), a recovering alcoholic mentioned, tried to call his autobiography Cheggers Can’t Be Boozers but his publishers wouldn’t let him.)
Some of these must have reached Commonwealth countries, if not the States, considering they became popular around 1875. Is this right?

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3335
Joined  2007-01-29

Soccer certainly reached the States.

Posted: 02 September 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2007-02-26

That line about Cheggers is so beautiful and perfect that one suspects Mr Chegwin became and alcoholic just so he could use it.

On the question of whether it this spread to the colonies, I will comment with regard to Australia. “Soccer” is the main term in Australia for that form of football. “Rugger” and “footer” are not terms Australians use: the terms would be associated with upper class English speakers. Fiver and tenner have some currency (no pun intended) particularly among older Australians. I have not heard any of these other -er examples used by Australians. The -o and -y endings are more common in Australian English.

The author links the Australian tendency to form nicknames using the -zza ending with the Oxford -er: it’s possible there’s a connection, I suppose.

Posted: 02 September 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2007-10-20

The question gives one pause, but in my case the pause is not preggers.