2 of 2
Sticky wicket
Posted: 09 August 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-03-03

There is a common baseball-related expression that involves wet conditions:  “You win some, you lose some… and some get rained out.” But this refers more to the general imponderability of fate than to any particular difficulty caused by a wet field.

Posted: 10 August 2007 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2007-02-15

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciated.

Must say JimWilton’s “suicide squeeze” sounds fascinating… any further details on what that is? My guess would be a desperate dive to slide into a base while a fielder has just chucked the ball at lightning speed towards the same spatial coordinates :)

On a more general note, I took account of the particularity of the thread title expression to the game involved and the fact that it specifically refers to a difficulty faced by one side at a given time in a game where both teams are doing totally different things (fielding and batting teams in both cricket and baseball). Hard to find an equivalent in, f.e., football (soccer) as both teams face the same difficulties at the same time, though perhaps ‘playing into the wind’ applies....

Posted: 10 August 2007 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-13
BlackGrey - 10 August 2007 02:30 AM

Must say JimWilton’s “suicide squeeze” sounds fascinating… any further details on what that is? My guess would be a desperate dive to slide into a base while a fielder has just chucked the ball at lightning speed towards the same spatial coordinates :)

The Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_play_(baseball) covers the topic adequately.  “Suicide” is a bit of an overstatement, in that if everything goes right the runner will score safely.  It is suicidal only in that if everything does not go right, it will end badly.  I have also seen the suggestion that it has the name “suicide” because if the batter misses the sign he can end up hitting a hard line drive directly at the oncoming runner, but I very much doubt this explanation.

Posted: 10 August 2007 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1128
Joined  2007-02-14

Fixed version of Richard’s suicide squeeze Wikipedia link.  (You left the right paren out of the url range)

I can’t get it to work either.

[ Edited: 10 August 2007 03:31 PM by Faldage ]

Posted: 11 August 2007 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2223
Joined  2007-01-30

We’ve had this problem before. The odd thing is that if you copy and paste the link into your address bar it works just fine and takes you straight to the article. If, however, you put exactly the same link into your post clicking it takes you to the disambiguation page. Dr Techie’s away at the moment, he worked some magic with one of these links before to fix it but I can’t recall how.

Posted: 11 August 2007 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-02-14

A “suicide squeeze” is when the team at bat has a runner on third and there are fewer than two outs.  The batter and the third base runner get the sign for the suicide squeeze and even before the pitcher releases the ball the third base runner starts for home.  The batters job is to put the ball in play on the ground.  If he does this correctly, the infielders are left with only one play—to throw the batter out at first—and the third base runner scores.  That is the squeeze part (forcing the fielders to have to choose an unattractive option for an out).

It’s called a “suicide” squeeze because if the batter doesn’t make contact with the ball the catcher has it and the third base runner has committed “suicide” by making himself vulnerable for an easy run down out between the catcher and the third baseman. 

And with the US equivalent of a “sticky wicket” I expect that the third base runner might score and the batter might reach first.

2 of 2

‹‹ Frag      door prize ››