A Way With Words Radio Show NOT Cancelled
Posted: 04 August 2007 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4740
Joined  2007-01-03

The weekly radio show about language, A Way With Words (not in any way related to this site’s blog and newsletter of the same name) has been canceled by KPBS, the San Diego public radio station that produces it. Evidently, the production cost was too much. Details are on the station’s press release.

Fortunately the show’s hosts, Martha Barnette and Grant Barrett are looking at continuing the program elsewhere. You can go to the show’s new website to find out more info when it becomes available.

What really cheeses me off is that I just sent KPBS a check because I’m a faithful listener of the show (in its podcast form) and wanted to support it. Then they go and cancel it.

I wish Martha and Grant success at finding a new location for the show. It’s a great show and hopefully will be back on the air to an even wider audience soon.

[Edit: Changed subject line to bring it up to date--dw]

[ Edited: 20 November 2007 07:09 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 04 August 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1275
Joined  2007-03-21

It seems that your link to the press release is broken, Dave.  But on the show page at KPBS it has the following:

A Way with Words is on summer holidaybut we’re not off the air! We’ll be broadcasting encore editions of our program until early September. You can still get your logophilic fix right here each week, because we’ll continue to share what’s on our minds during our exclusive, web-only rants and raves. These new podcasts are our way of keeping in touch – and providing you with linguistic food for thought all summer long.

Whatever that means.

Here’s the San Diego Union Tripune on-line article they link to from their “Way with Words” website.

Edit: our local Public Broadcasting Station dropped it shortly after Lederer left.

[ Edited: 04 August 2007 04:59 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 04 August 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

In their podcast for August 3rd, Diegogarcity (credited to Wordorigins.org) is suggested as a “new word.” (about 2/3rds the way through). Not sure they got the definition right, though.

edit: Grant suggests David Epstein’s offering of newsrotica, a label for all the salacious stories that fuel the 24-hour news cycle in the Age of Paris Hilton.

[ Edited: 04 August 2007 05:42 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 05 August 2007 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-01-30

Production costs? Surely such a programme could be run on a shoestring. (I speak from zero years of experience in radio, so please give this comment the weight it deserves.)

Yes, I heard the podcast, Dave has a thread about it. Wonderful to hear diegogarcity discussed on air!

Posted: 05 August 2007 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-06-03

I had never heard of this radio show, despite having double-tongued on my list of links. Of course, this is not that surprising since I live in Aotearoa/New Zealand. I am interested in the podcasts, though. Charles Hodgson, the very affable and generous soul who runs podictionary.com, has recently started providing transcripts of his podcasts. He remembered my aversion to podcasts from when I had added his site to my list, and notified me of the new service. I was profoundly grateful for this, since I find US English speakers painfully slow to listen to (I mean that literally - my patience wears thin and aggravation sets in whenever I have to listen to or converse with US English speakers). Transcripts of course mean being able to process the information at my pace, not the glacial pace of spoken US English. Is there any chance that the “Way with Words” podcasts will have transcripts available?

[ Edited: 05 August 2007 03:50 AM by maxqnz ]

Posted: 05 August 2007 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-02-17

AWWW was on summer holiday, but production was canceled during that break. We’re already in talks with other outlets, so stay tuned for good news!

A “shoestring” is really what it costs to produce the show, but public radio is funded by a ball of shoestrings. Every scrap is precious and fought over. As I write in my comments about the show’s changes, the show could hardly be done for less without turning it into something weak and pale.

We don’t have transcripts of the show, I’m afraid. We simply do not have the manpower.

We didn’t suggest “diegogarcity” as a new word, we brought it up because Erin McKean was asking for a word for the phenomenon. I know the word is several years old and if I knew aldiboronti’s real name, I’d have given credit for coinage. I didn’t have any particular problems with the definition we gave. I didn’t suggest “newsrotica,” either: it came up at the DSNA open mic.

Signature 

Double-Tongued Dictionary, a dictionary of slang, jargon, and new words from the fringes of English.
A Way with Words, a lively public radio show about language.

Posted: 05 August 2007 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-06-03
Grant Barrett - 05 August 2007 03:54 AM

We don’t have transcripts of the show, I’m afraid. We simply do not have the manpower.

No problem. Listening will teach me patience. And enunciation.

Posted: 05 August 2007 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21
Grant Barrett - 05 August 2007 03:54 AM

We didn’t suggest “diegogarcity” as a new word, we brought it up because Erin McKean was asking for a word for the phenomenon. I know the word is several years old and if I knew aldiboronti’s real name, I’d have given credit for coinage. I didn’t have any particular problems with the definition we gave. I didn’t suggest “newsrotica,” either: it came up at the DSNA open mic.

Thanks for the corrections, Grant.  And the show.  Best of luck.

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-02-17

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted you to know that “A Way with Words” lives! Brand-new shows begin airing the weekend of November 24th. Me, my co-host Martha Barnette, and our producer Stefanie Levine have acquired the rights to the show--and KPBS has agreed to continue to broadcast it.

You can find out more about public radio’s lively language show on our new A Way with Words web site.

—Grant Barrett, co-host of A Way with Words

Signature 

Double-Tongued Dictionary, a dictionary of slang, jargon, and new words from the fringes of English.
A Way with Words, a lively public radio show about language.

Posted: 13 November 2007 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3493
Joined  2007-01-29

Hurray—thanks for the update!

Posted: 19 November 2007 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-06-14

That is very good news.

Thank you.

Posted: 20 November 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-06-27

The default radio station in my car is KPBS. For years AWWW has been the sole redeeming feature of creeping along Southern California freeways, so another grateful listener rejoices.

‹‹ DSNA New Word Open Mic      Five-O ››