7 of 7
HD: Ranting About Hyphens
Posted: 12 January 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2007-01-29

I know, and I appreciate it.  My last paragraph was more general, not aimed at you in particular.

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-06-20
languagehat - 11 January 2013 11:34 AM

Of course people miss dash errors, just as they do spelling errors and every other kind of error—even “highly experienced proof-readers.” That is neither here nor there, and doesn’t alter my point.

Sorry, I should have made my point more clear. The highly experienced copy editors had to look hard before agreeing with me. It just wasn’t at all obvious even to them, without a good scrutiny, what length of dash was being used.

Posted: 14 January 2013 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2007-01-29

I don’t know what to say, except that you must know a bunch of highly experienced copyeditors who are terrible at their job.  I cannot imagine any copyeditor I know having the slightest problem telling a hyphen from an en dash from an em dash.  That’s one of the fundamentals of the job.

Posted: 15 January 2013 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-06-20
languagehat - 14 January 2013 06:46 AM

I don’t know what to say, except that you must know a bunch of highly experienced copyeditors who are terrible at their job.  I cannot imagine any copyeditor I know having the slightest problem telling a hyphen from an en dash from an em dash.  That’s one of the fundamentals of the job.

Well, there we are.

Posted: 03 June 2014 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3026
Joined  2007-02-26

Is this use of a hyphen (in a current CNN article) conventional?

“Anti-sex slavery hero in Cambodia resigns after Newsweek expose”

Posted: 03 June 2014 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4657
Joined  2007-01-03

Conventions vary, and I’m not sure what style guide CNN uses. (Probably either AP or, more likely, they have their own.)

But “anti-sex slavery hero” can be read as saying the person is chaste hero to slaves. I’m presuming the hero battles the trade in sex slaves, and that being so it is most important to hyphenate “sex-slavery,” as that is the core of the compound. “Anti-sex-slavery hero” is probably the best way to hyphenate it. You can get away with “anti sex-slavery hero,” as that is also clear, but the anti, being a prefix, really shouldn’t stand alone. My reading of Chicago is that reference would recommend “anti-sex-slavery hero” (see 7.83, which uses the example of “late nineteenth-century,” but “mid-nineteenth-century").

7 of 7