2 of 4
Where did these words come from in the English language? 
Posted: 09 January 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-04-17

Syntinen Laulu,
My mistake. I should have said; these words didn’t exist in Latin before second cent. A D. By than the Empire expanded to its maximum and imported words. Your computer selected Latin words appeared in Latin after sec. century AD. Here is your problem
-Let’s take 3 words.
-English……Romanian..Latin
-MESSAGE..MESAJ…….MISSIO
-REVOLT….REVOLTA….REVOLUTIO
-CARCASS..CARCASA...CARCOSIUM
-Only 3 words are presented, because it is enough to make the point.
-Root for the Romanian CARCASA. CAR means “carry” and CASA is “house” hence CAR-CASA. The literal meaning of this word in Romanian is “carry house” or “the frame that carry” the house.
-How it is possible to have the words REVOLT and REVOLTA form Latin REVOLUTIO and both modern words match so well so many years later, when the root is so different. Root for the word RE-VOLTA. Romanian VOLTA means VAULT like in VAULTING. The word has similarities in Latin as well, but this word evolved from VULTUR and VULTUR from BOUR. Bour is a Romanian word.
-Irrefutable example of how the words evolve.
-The English word BLOND, Spanish BLANCO and Italian BIANCO come from the Romanian word BALAN. None of these words existed in Latin. Here is where I encountered the word BALAN outside Romanian language. Procopius History of the Wars LOEB classics; book V xviii6.  “kill the man on BALAN horse, he is Belisarius”. Procopius goes on to say that such a horse is called PHALIUS in Greek and BALAN in Gothic. The way Procopius spelled the word BALAN 1,500 years ago is spelled exactly the same way in today’s Romanian. The word BALAN, which means “white horse”, is spelled exactly the same way down to the last letter. The text is in Greek is on the left page of the book and it is spelled exactly the same way. Now this is a perfect example [in my opinion] how the evolution of words take place. The original word BALAN is still exactly the same in Romanian 1500 years later while the words derived from BALAN turned into BLOND, BLANCO and BIANCO because time and distance. Do you see where we differ?
-Now let’s see the “Greek” word PERIFERIE/PERIPHERY. The word PERICOL means “danger” and FERESTE is “avoid”. Now do you see the combination of the two translated English meaning of “danger-avoid”? Does make sense to avoid dangerous area at the “periphery”? That is exactly what PERI from PERI-COL and FERE-STE means when combined; PERI-FERIE.
-The “Persian” CARAVANA is composed of the Romanian words CAR and VANA. CAR means “car/wagon” and VANA or VAD means “the course of a river”. Even the A in the middle is grammatically correct. Therefore CAR-A-VANA means “river of cars/wagons”. Do you think it makes sense in Romanian? Skits and Persian were related and Modern Romanian is closer to Old Persian than modern Persian.
-HLAUFEN being the root for the English and Romanian GALLOP is ridiculous. 
-Anyway let’s go to RASA. It literary means “his [RA] people”. In Romanian SA is “his”. And by combining RA “sun god” and SA the meaning is extremely clear once it is understood that RA was god in the language of the original Europeans.
-The word CALM derived from CAL “horse”. CALMEAZA means to “calm down”. The antiquity writers talk about Skit’s horses being small, but very feisty. That is why they castrated them to “calm” them down.
-GRADINA/GARDEN and GARDAGUARD.  These two words GUARD and GARDEN are the same in many languages.
-Spanish/Romanian/English/German
-GUARDIA/GARDA/GUARD/GARDE
-JARDIN/GRADINA/GARDEN/GARTEN.
-Here is the root of the words garden and guard. It is the Romanian word GARD. Let me put it in between the English words; GUARD-GARD-GARDEN. Do they look close enough? Does anyone think that these words are not related? Here is the answer; GARD is “fence” in Romanian. Can there be a “garden” without a “fence” with all the animals running around? And what is “guard” other than a human “fence” around the king. It is the Slavic GRAD not the Romanian word GARD that kept the original spelling.
-GARNIZOANA/GARISON. The word GARD has been explained and ZONA means “area”. Here it is in plain English; GARNISH-ZONE. A “zone” guarded/garn-ished for protection. The root is in English as well as in Romanian and nobody sees it, because everybody is looking too far and wide when the answer is at their feet.
-The word DUNE/DUNE. The answer; ADUNA means “to gather together”. Just remove the letter A from A-DUNA and viola. DUNA is singular and DUNE is plural in Romanian.
-FRICA and the English FEAR/FREAK . Well, let’s see how absurd I am. Have you heard of the word FIORD? Now here is a Romanian word; FIOR. Does it look close enough to you? It means “shiver”, but the literal meaning is “fear from God”. Do you think that “shiver” has anything to do with “fear”?

Posted: 09 January 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
languagehat - 09 January 2013 06:25 AM

“Creier” looks like Latin “cerebrum”.

Exactly right, that’s its origin.

-The Romanian CREIER does not look at all the same with Latin CEREBRUM for anyone who understands well Romanian. They have very different roots. CREIER evolved from CRET meaning “curly/lumpy” exactly the brain looks like. CRAPAT which means “cracked” is also in that ancestry.
-Latin CEREBRUM comes from Romanian CER “sky”, CERE “ask” and the Thracian harvest goddess CERES. I can go on but I think this will do.

Posted: 09 January 2013 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
OP Tipping - 08 January 2013 01:35 AM

Romanian...............Latin...............English
CAL........................EQU...............HORSE

So, um, you don’t think cal might be related to the Latin caballus ?
Like so many other horsey words in the Romance languages are?
Worth considering.

The Latin CABALLUS definitely evolved from Romanian CAL. I have never encountered the word caballus in classic Latin; it was always EQU, EQUESTER and so on. And the only book I read written in Latin after first century A D, was written a millennium later titled “Gesta Francorum”. It is about the crusade by anonymous writer. If the word caballus was in Gesta Francorum “Deeds of the Franks” I would have paid no attention, because I would have expected it by then. There is great difference in writing between classic Latin and Gesta Francorum. The latter I understood much easier.

Posted: 09 January 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
aldiboronti - 08 January 2013 08:08 AM

It’s a safe bet, lh. I can’t see Mr raven alb j. being open to persuasion on this, more especially as it’s a chapter (The First Words) of his magnum opus, Ice Ages, Animal Extinctions and the Great Flood Explained, which itself is apparently part of a projected work entitled Why and How the Ice Age Ended & The True History of the Pontic (White) Race.

My main book is “Why and How the Ice Age Ended and the True History of the White Race” and the much smaller book “Ice Ages, Animal Extinctions and the Great Flood Explained” is only the first 4 chapters of the main book. The reason for these Mother-Daughter books is very simple. The main book covers the Ice age situation, the great flood that falowed and a lot of history and etymology and most people wouldn’t be interested in reading such a complex book. For this reason the small book was separated and it is available as e-book for $5 and this way anyone in the world can buy the book and read it. As for it being my “magnum opus” it is more like “maximum opus”. Nobody will ever understand how much work that was and what is to work continuously for 20 years and not being able to talk at all about what you are writing, because you will be declared insane instantly. I wrote 5000 pages of linguistic and historical documentation and had to concentrate all that in 500 pages, because nobody will read 5000 pages. That concentration alone took two years. Now I am free to talk about it, because the book is there and anyone who calls me insane without reading the book, is not worth his salt.

Posted: 09 January 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
languagehat - 08 January 2013 01:47 PM

I admire your work ethic, SL.

Moi aussi!

And jheem is right about duna (probably from French dune) and frică (from Greek φρικη), according to my source for Romanian etymologies.

DUNA is so simple for a Romanian, that 12 years old can explain it. As shown before it’s from A-DUNA which means “to gather”. There are loes dunes in America, China, Romania and I am sure in many other places. What created those loes dunes I don’t know, but here is a tip for scientists. [I hear the reader laughing] I will give the tip anyway. The city of Noviodunum was buried by that immense turbulence which brought the loes and covered the city by the “gathered” DUNE. They are digging Noviodunum out now, actually they started on it more than a decade ago and they are doing a terrible job. Important artifacts were left in the open with nobody watching and I could have taken a very important object if I wanted to. The reason I know about this Novodunum, is because it is in my father’s hometown of Isaccea in Romania. I was there twice there in different years and nobody was there. I know that the archeologists doing the job are very committed, but they are penniless and are doing the job with volunteer students. Here is the tip. The city of Noviodunum was still in existence in the sixth century [everybody knows that], but if the scientists can figure out when the city was buried, then I assume all the loes dunes happened all over the world and it must have been a great disaster provoked by some celestial collision. The turbulence was immense, because there is broken pottery allover dug out substrata around the buried city. I wonder how many people know about the Noviodunum information I just given. I have pictures and videos of it.

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
Dave Wilton - 08 January 2013 03:36 AM

The list ignores many Latin words. For example, martyr is a indeed a word in Latin (ultimately from Greek), and devotus is not a synonym. It’s an adjective meaning “devoted, worshipful.” Ditto for message (missus in Latin), revolt (revolutio in Latin), and many others.

Many of the military terms in both English and Romanian are from French. In sixteenth and seventeenth century French military vocabulary spread throughout Europe. And note that general is also from a Latin root and dux survives in English as duke.

-The “Greek” word MARTYR. It comes from the Greek word MARTOS “witness”. But where did the Greek word MARTOS evolved from, because there are no roots for it in Greek. My Greek is very flimsy, but I know that the roots are not in that language because, they are in Romanian. In Romanian MARTOR is “witness” as in Greek. MARTURISIRE means “testimony” and in Greek is MARTUREA. This far both languages can claim the originality of the word, even though the Romanian MARTOR is closer than the Greek MARTOS to MARTYR. Now here is an English and Romanian custom. The phrase; “God is my witness” and the Romanian “Dumnezeu ami este martor”, meaning the same thing. However the Romanians have a much shorter version; it is simply ZAU. In other words, most Romanians do not say the whole phrase [women do], but instead they simply say ZAU when saying “God is my witness”. ZEU is the original word for God in Romanian and DUMNE-ZEU appeared with Christianity, because the Romanian DOMNUL is equivalent to the English LORD. It is a fact that Mars/Martie was the main god for Romanian ancestors, even though Herodotus said that it was PAPEUS. I think MARTIE and PAPEUS were the same and Herodotus confused the situation, because he couldn’t go to deep among the Skits. They were not the most reliable people. He did describe the savage celebration of Martes. I did encounter a statement in antiquity that Martes was the main god of Skits. And it was MARS/MARTIE that was called “as witness” before Christianity. “MARTIE ami este MARTOR” would be in Romanian “God is my witness”.  Obviously they simply said MARTOR as the say today ZAU when calling God to be their witness.  Mars was the main god of the Romans as well in the beginning, and that is why the Roman calendar started with the month of Martes.  It was Romulus who build a shrine to god Janus/Ioan and by the time of Julius Caesar Janus became the main god and the new calendar started with January.
-Let’s go back to Mars. In Romanian MARE is “great” and MARETIE means “greatness”. The word MA-RE is related to god RE. Obviously God is gREat. I wrote in the “very first words” that Romanians have the unique custom of having a little trinket on their chest called MARTISOR meaning “little Mars”. I will not go any further in bringing any proof that Mars was the god of Romanian ancestors, because there is much more, linguistically and historically. My point is this; God MARTES in Greek was Ares and there are no further roots for the word MARTOS “witness” in Greek, while in Romanian it is an abundance of them. I will stop here, because I have at least 10 pages to back this up.

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17
sobiest - 07 January 2013 09:52 PM

Spend some time at this site: http://www.etymonline.com/

Taking “creation” and “carcass” from your list:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=creation

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=carcass

And looking at: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=create

refutes your position.

-Thank you for informing me about that. I checked and I think that the conclusions they have were not bad considering that none of them paid attention to Romanian. I have explained a little about CREIER somewhere else. Here it is;
-The Romanian CREIER does not look at all the same with Latin CEREBRUM for anyone who understands well Romanian. They have very different roots. CREIER evolved from CRET meaning “curly/lumpy” exactly the brain looks like. CRAPAT which means “cracked” is also in that ancestry.
-Latin CEREBRUM comes from Romanian CER “sky”, CERE “ask” and the Thracian harvest goddess CERES.
-The word CRESTE means “grow” in Romanian and it is related to GRAESTE meaning “speaking”. The word GRAI “speak” evolved from RA responding to the RUGA “prayer” to God for favors. GRAI is “voice/speak and CRAI is “king” and CRAINIC “ is the English “crier”. The first part in the word CRAI-NIC is pronounced exactly like the English “CRIE-r”.
-For example RASPICAT means “clearly/definitely so”. In this RA-SPICAT anyone with some brains can see the English “RA spoken” and nothing else is accepted. The Romanian SPIC-at is pronounced exactly like the English “speak”. In my book I showed etymologically that the word CRESTIN “Christian” evolved from the Romanian CRESTE “grow”. There is too much to explain on this and the only thing I can say is to get the book. It will not waste your time. I know how frustrating it is when titles are misleading and that will be the last thing I will do to others.
-The word CARCASA was explained someplace else as well, but here it is;
-Root for the Romanian CARCASA. CAR means “carry” and CASA is “house” hence CAR-CASA. The literal meaning of this word in Romanian is “carry house” or “the frame that carry” the house. Let me draw an analogy for better understanding.
-The English words “horseshoe” and “baseball”. Both these words are as English they can be and nobody in its right mind will say that these words have roots in another language, because they are composed out of two already established English words put together. The fact that “shoe” came from German it is another matter. Romanian words like PRIVELEGE, CURAJ, SERENADA and hundreds of others are composed of two or three Romanian words put together. I will split the above words.
-PRIVE- LEGE is composed of PRIVESTE meaning “look over” and LEGE “law”. The original understanding of the word “privilege” in Romanian does not have the meaning it has in the west. The Privileged people [upper class] were in charge to “overlook/oversee” the rest of the people to make sure the “law” LEGE was respected. Later it came to today’s meaning.
-CU-RAJ “courage” is formed out of the word CU “with” and the word RA “RA god”. Obviously when RA “God” is “with” you, you fear nothing, hence CURAJ
-SERENA-DA is a very Romanian word and it has nothing to do with Latin. It is from Romanian SEARA “evening”. In Latin it is VESPER. The word means literally “give evening”. That is when the serenades were sung.

Posted: 10 January 2013 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

Post #19 - is that spam or can I mention my book again?

edit: It’s cheaper, too!

[ Edited: 10 January 2013 12:21 AM by ElizaD ]

Posted: 10 January 2013 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2007-02-26

The Latin CABALLUS definitely evolved from Romanian CAL. I have never encountered the word caballus in classic Latin

Horace: “Optat ephippia bos piger, optat arare caballus”

He wrote this about a millennium before anything that you could possibly call the Romanian language existed.

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4470
Joined  2007-01-03

Post #19 - is that spam or can I mention my book again?

edit: It’s cheaper, too!

Somehow, I don’t think his posts are going to sell any of his books. (And I happily plug again Eliza’s book, which is delightful, and, although I haven’t read Raven Alb J’s book, I’m sure Eliza’s is far more informative.)

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

What book, Eliza?

Posted: 10 January 2013 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-02-07

can I mention my book again?

Please, for the love of decency, hijack this thread.

Posted: 10 January 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

Perhaps this is a good time for me to mention my new book, “Why I hate darkies and academic rigour”.

Posted: 10 January 2013 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21
OP Tipping - 10 January 2013 05:53 AM

What book, Eliza?

I have it on my Kindle. Dancing on Mara Dust. A nice glimpse into South African life in another age. $.99 for digital edition. Can’t beat that price (though I paid a bit more a year and 3 months ago).

One also might consider Word Myths in which the attentive reader will find out Dr. T’s real identity. That information alone is worth the $9.99 Kindle price. You can download Kindle for your PC (and likely MAC) for free, then buy the books and read them while pretending to work at office or home.

Posted: 10 January 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21
OP Tipping - 10 January 2013 07:35 AM

Perhaps this is a good time for me to mention my new book, “Why I hate darkies and academic rigour”.

Or my book, Surely you jest about global warming: No I’m not jesting and don’t call me Shirley
edit: broke the joke!

[ Edited: 10 January 2013 07:29 PM by Oecolampadius ]

2 of 4