1 of 3
Is Bordurian a Romance language? 
Posted: 14 January 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2021
Joined  2007-02-19

Is Bordurian a Romance language?

Although the linguistic evidence found so far is not extensive, the pioneering research carried out until now (modesty forbids mention of the researcher’s name) suggests a strong probability that Bordurian is a Romance language (Borduria, readers will recall, is a European country, bordering on Sylvania, and governed by the strongly nationalistic Hurvy-Tasch regime*).

The police captain (op. cit., p.47) addresses Tintin as “Mänhir Tintin”. The connection with “Monsieur Tintin” is unescapable. The salutation that follows: “Amaïh!” is problematic, but might be associated with the Euskara Lucuma (“May the gods smile upon you”) - at any event, a Latin origin seems unlikely, though an association might conceivably be found with the Italian “Porca Madonna!” (“Bless my soul!”) .

The protagonists of the saga put up at the Hotel Zsnorr in Szohod. “Hotel” has unmistakable Romance associations; “Zsnorr” , on the other hand, seems closer to the Uguro-Altaic group. The consonantal sequence Z-S-N is not very often found in Romance languages.

Without further research, we see that 50% of our Bordurian words so far, are of Latin origin; there is little doubt that more exhaustive research will confirm that Bordurian belongs firmly in the Romance language family. All subscribers to this forum are invited to join in this exciting voyage of discovery.

Refs. Hergé, The Calculus Affair (London, 1960)

* The diacritical signs in this name are too much for this researcher)

Posted: 14 January 2013 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2007-02-16

On the other hand, the dire critical signs are ominous! Stand by for a five-consonant salute from ElizaD

Posted: 14 January 2013 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

I can’t find the forum’s “Like” button.

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2007-01-29

Stand by for a five-consonant salute from ElizaD

My lionello a troll???  Wash your mouth out with soap, skibberoo!

Seriously, though, Mänhir is most likely related to Afrikaans Meneer, and this makes me wonder whether Bordurian has Germanic roots.  Just speculating, mind.  I don’t want anyone to jump down my throat about it, but it does sound plausible.

[ Edited: 14 January 2013 06:03 AM by ElizaD ]

Posted: 14 January 2013 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  815
Joined  2007-06-20
lionello - 14 January 2013 12:09 AM

The police captain (op. cit., p.47) addresses Tintin as “Mänhir Tintin”. The connection with “Monsieur Tintin” is unescapable.

Surely “Mänhir” comes from the same Celtic roots that gave Breton “maen-hir”, Cornish “menhir”, “long stone” or “high stone”, meaning here “person of high standing”, and shows at the least a Celtic substrate to Bordurian, probably derived from settlement by those Celtic tribes that gave their name to Galicia in what is now western Ukraine, if not a strong clue that Bordurian may itself be a Celtic language? After all, the name of Sylvania next door clearly comes from the Celtic tribe the Silures.

Posted: 14 January 2013 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2007-02-16

Peace, ElizaD. Perhaps I was Krônikly Klûmsi!  So, let’s switch from trollery to drollery then.
Here’s a snapshot of Bordurian vocabulary from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordurian

Known words

amaïh! - “hail!” (from the Flemish/Brussels word “amai” (meaning as much as “wow!")
da - “of”
hôitgang - “exit” (from Dutch “uitgang” and German “Ausgang")
mänhir - “mister” (from German “mein Herr” and Dutch “mijnheer”, literal translation of frz. “monsieur")
ointhfan - “reception desk” (possibly from Dutch “ontvangst” or German “Empfang")
opernska - “opera”
platz - “square/plaza” (from German “Platz")
Pristzy! - “Darn!” (from French “sapristi!")
szonett - “bell” or “bell-push” (from French “sonnette")
sztôpp - “Stop!”
tzhôl - “customs” (from German “Zoll")
zservis - “service”
zsnôrr - “moustache” (From Dutch “snor")
szplug! - “hey!” (Only in English edition)

Place names

Bakhine
Szohôd

Names of people

Kardouk
Kavitch
Klûmsi - (Original French: Himmerszeck, akin to Dutch immer ziek (always sick))
Krônik
Kûrvi-Tasch - (From English curvy (mous)tache, Original French: Pleksy-Gladz, based on Plexiglas)
Müsstler - (an obvious portmanteau of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler)
Sponsz - From Dutch “spons”, sponge

Posted: 14 January 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2335
Joined  2007-01-30

Sylvania? Shurely shome mishtake. Syldavia

(For leftponders the shurely, etc. is a Private Eye-ism.)

Posted: 14 January 2013 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

That was really fast, groundbreaking research, Skibberoo, and does your Linguistic Exhumation Department immense credit! I never thought of going to Wikipedia, that latter-day Hippocrene (hangs head in shame). It would have saved me rummaging through a whole shelf of 50-year-old, cobweb-laden Tintin books. Your work does a lot to strengthen my hypothesis (or would do, if I had been holding the World Map the right way up when I reached my geographic-linguistic conclusions). To arrive at my solutions for the origins of the Bordurian words, I used a multiple-sclerotic-regression technique similar to that used by our co-poster (the one with Chiroptera in the campanile), but I admit that yours seems (pending further investigation) to be a truffle more fruitful. Your work will go down in Bordurian History. Amaïh!
Among the big surprises was ointhfan, which I would (off the top of my head, of course, if you’ll pardon the expression) have supposed to be an Old English loan-word meaning “an unguent for the relief of haemorrhoids”.

Posted: 14 January 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2842
Joined  2007-01-31

Chiroptera in the campanile

I could go back to bed now in the serene certainty that I would not read anything better than this for the rest of the day (although your initial post is also a gem). 

Unfortunately, it is still early, and I have two lectures and a lab still to teach.

Posted: 14 January 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2012-01-10

I don’t know, much as Kissinger winning the Nobel prize was a figurative P45 for political satirists, I wonder if linguistic parodists have had their cards handed to them by the statement, apparently made in complete earnestness, “God is gREat,” which, I think, was intended to demonstrate that “great” is derived from Re (more commonly rendered Ra), and that Re, contrary to popular belief, was a Romanian deity. (Egyptian?  Ptah!")

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  829
Joined  2007-03-01

Decades ago in a revue I watched a sketch involving a group of Ancient Egyptian scribes; I remember one rather camp scribbler saying to another, ‘Ptah ever so, Ptolemy’

Posted: 14 January 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

Your generous support is balm to my soul, ElizaD......  and so are your kind words, Dr. Techie.

I feel amply rewarded for all that backbreaking research.

;-) (blissfully)

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

Is Tintin his first or last name.

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-10

Apparently, per a Wikipedia article on the subject, whether Tintin is a first name or a surname is unknown (and unknowable) and it may even be a pseudonym.

I attempted to include a link to the wiki, but, in keeping with the character’s aura of mystery, the link does not work (I copied and pasted the very address that shows up when I am reading the appropriate WP article, but when I click on that link via preview, I am taken to a Wikipedia page that says it doesn’t have an article with that exact title.)

If you search WP for Tintin, you get several choices, including one for the series and one for the character.  The character-based one is the one that says that the true nature of his name is not revealed..

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2011-04-10
Svinyard118 - 14 January 2013 02:42 PM

Apparently, per a Wikipedia article on the subject, whether Tintin is a first name or a surname is unknown (and unknowable) and it may even be a pseudonym.

I attempted to include a link to the wiki, but, in keeping with the character’s aura of mystery, the link does not work (I copied and pasted the very address that shows up when I am reading the appropriate WP article, but when I click on that link via preview, I am taken to a Wikipedia page that says it doesn’t have an article with that exact title.)

If you search WP for Tintin, you get several choices, including one for the series and one for the character.  The character-based one is the one that says that the true nature of his name is not revealed..

Is this the link you were looking for?

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-10

Well, the problem didn’t consist of “finding” the correct page, but of getting the link to it in my post to work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_(character)

I followed the link on your post, got to the correct page, copied the URL, and pasted it here.  Strangely (or perhaps not) the link no longer seems to work (at least when i test it in the preview).

But yes, that was the page I was talking about. ;). 

Or perhaps that should be:

@@
-------

1 of 3

‹‹ Schleicher's fable in Prometheus      Hindoo ››