Jump to latest post. 
Posted: 18 February 2007 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2007-02-14

Is there no way of jumping to the most recent post in a thread?  Or, at least have some sort of marker that a given post is new since one’s last visit.  Or am I not seeing something obvious?

Posted: 18 February 2007 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2839
Joined  2007-01-31

In the developer theme, threads with new posts are clearly marked, although you still have to scroll down to the bottom to find the new posts.  That doesn’t seem very onerous to me.

What does bug me is that it seems to be necessary to go back to the index page after reading each thread in order to find the next one with new posts.  When you’re reading a thread, at the bottom of the page are links to “next” and “previous” threads (not explicitly so labeled, but with double arrowhead marks pointing right for one and left for the other.

As near as I can tell, these refer to the order in which the threads were created, and are never updated to reflect the new ordering (based on most recent post) in the index.  Unlike the “next topic” and “previous topic” links back at EZboard, these are almost perfectly useless, unless you’ve come to the board never having read any of the threads before, and don’t care if you get ones with recent posts mixed in with those that haven’t had anything added in days.

Is there anyway to change that function?  It’s really more convenient to go from thread to thread directly instead of having to jump back up to the index between each.

Posted: 18 February 2007 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

I’ve never used RSS for anything and so I’m not sure if jgor’s comments are in response to mine, or Faldy’s, or just spontaneous.  If to mine: should I have to set up an RSS feed because the Expression Engine software doesn’t support reading threads in a sensible order?  This was supposed to be an improvement over EZboard, right?

Posted: 19 February 2007 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2007-02-14

I don’t have any problems telling what forums have new posts or what threads have new posts once I get into the given forum.  My problem is that once I get in the thread I have to work to figure out what the new post is.  If it’s just one of those little edit-for-typo posts I’m really lost.  I’ll check out the latest newsletter to see if anything applies.  I have an orange and a blue icon at the bottom of the page, but they’re not labeled.

Posted: 19 February 2007 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2007-01-03

Unfortunately, there is no good way to note which individual posts within a thread are new. I’ve put in a feature request.

Posted: 19 February 2007 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

What about the issue with the threading, i.e., the threads identified with the << and >> signs below?  Any way of getting them to match the dynamic ordering according to most recent post seen in the indexes, rather than the static (and pretty much useless) ordering by date of thread creation (or whatever they’re using)?

Posted: 19 February 2007 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m looking into it. There’s not a simple command to do it. It would probably require a bunch of scripting to read the member database where the info on what threads have been read are stored (this varies with each individual).

I’m pretty sure it can be done (unlike flagging individual posts as unread--the data just doesn’t exist for doing that), but whether I’m up to the task of doing it is another question.

Posted: 19 February 2007 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-02-17

The closest thing that I can find is this:

Look at the right side of the thread that you interested in.
It will show the author of the last posting and the time and date of the posting.
Click on the time and date and you are at the end of the thread.
Now you have to scroll up to the last one that you have read.

A little less wading, but not much.

Rich

‹‹ Unreadable Email      Preview doesn't Preview ››