snuck
Posted: 03 March 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  2007-04-28

I first came across this word in David Bowie’s nonsensical 1973 song The Jean Genie and it was years before I found out what snuck meant.

A small Jean Genie snuck off to the city
Strung out on lasers and slash back blazers
Ate all your razors while pulling the waiters
Talking bout Monroe and walking on Snow White

I still say sneaked and have never heard snuck used in the UK. However, in the Independent a couple of weeks ago a journalist wrote about a burglary

Lewis Ward, 28, snuck into a home in Raby Street, Darlington and took an iPad.

Maybe he’s a stripling and doesn’t realise it’s an Americanism or maybe it’s caught on without my knowledge. What do other Brits reckon and when did they first come across it? (I’m not criticising “snuck”. It’s easier to say for a start.)

Posted: 03 March 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

Interesting. To get an idea, I googlified snuck on the Guardian website.

One instance that popped up was about the word snuck, particularly concerning its increased acceptability. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/28/blackberry-cupcakes-study-uk-childrens-language

Most of the rest were in colour pieces, opinion pieces, travel columns, music columns and gaming columns, etc, rather than straight up “news” news.  Still, this would indicate that it snuck is out and about in Britain, if not quite formally accepted.

The first couple of proper news items that used the word snuck were from other news agencies and concerned North American stories, so perhaps had simply passed in unedited.

I must admit that I am so far lost to sin that “sneaked” sounds weird to me now.