RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1190
Joined  2007-04-28

Here.

Posted: 15 March 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  634
Joined  2011-04-10

I found this to be interesting. My opinion is that this data, if it is good data, illustrates or at least points to an aspect of human nature.

My further speculation is that the data might map the ‘innate borders of the human mind’ (maybe a better choice of words would be: tendency of humans to form borders), in conflict with the classically imagined ‘world/universe without borders’.

I saw something vaguely similar once when I managed an ~60 member group of talented and creative scientists, engineers and technical people. The company’s flagship product had been received into the market with vigour, and a new facility was built. We moved there, as an independent spin-off of the mother corporation.

The new space was vast in comparison to where we assembled the team and brought the product out. I allowed the team to define their workspace however they thought best, admonishing workability as the main guiding rule.

The result was a labyrinth of modular cubicles. They could have chosen open desks and workstations--whatever they wanted.  They chose nearly tribal confines. 

YMMV

Posted: 16 March 2013 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4478
Joined  2007-01-03

I find the results of this study unsurprising. If the researchers had found that language operates differently in online networks than it does everywhere else, that would be something. Here we have language behaving as it always does. (Which doesn’t mean it’s a bad study. From my brief look at it, it seems like a solid study.)

‹‹ spoilt for choice      Darb ››