Nonetheless, triple compounds
Posted: 13 August 2007 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-08-13

I’m looking for triple compound words in English.  The only ones I can think of are “nonetheless” and “nevertheless.” But I’m sure there are more.  Can anybody think of others off the top of their head?  Thanks!

Posted: 13 August 2007 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2007-01-03

Here are a few:

inasmuch
heretofore
wherewithal
albeit
insofar
whosoever
ne’erdowell

There are lots and lots. And this isn’t even touching the triple compound nouns.

Posted: 13 August 2007 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2839
Joined  2007-01-31

[Egregious mantle deleted. Move along, nothing to see here.]

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-08-13

To Dave Wilton:
Thanks for your speedy reply!  I’m feeling pretty stupid.  Why, I was just reading “inasmuch” yesterday, in Angela’s Ashes.  Mrs. Finucane: “That word, inasmuch, that’s a holy terror of a word.  What does it mean?” Frankie: “I think it means this is your last chance.” You mentioned noun triple compounds . . .  I’m feeling stupid again.  What are some?  Thanks, Chris Cotton

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1222
Joined  2007-04-28

Many of these are used in legalese, maybe so you have to pay solicitors to write and decode them.
“I, venomousbede, hereinafter referred to as bede, formerly resident at etc., do hereby bequeath all my worldly goods and chattels. hereinafter referred to as the wherewithal.... “
I’ve never actually written or read a will. Is this how they are really phrased or is it a cartoon version?
The idea is clearly to avoid ambiguity especially if the will is financially complicated, but are contracts, wills etc. unnecessarily burdened with terms that could be more clearly explained in plain English without triple or “whatever” compounds”?

Posted: 13 August 2007 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2839
Joined  2007-01-31

I suppose “ne’er-do-well” would be a triple-compound noun, although the middle element is a verb.

Jack-o’-lantern also comes to mind.  Hand-me-down. Johnny-come-lately. 

Actually, quadruple compound nouns are coming to mind more easily:
jack-of-all-trades
jack-in-the-pulpit
jack-in-the-box
johnny-on-the-spot
will-o’-the-wisp
and of course
sonofabitch!