Adoy
Posted: 26 April 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-01-30

From Washington Online:

After Laura Bush finished her welcome to the crowd, there was a pause as the Army Chorus prepared to perform “America the Beautiful.” In those few moments, Mr. Carter, the only president wearing sunglasses, rose and moved toward the podium. W waved him back down, but Jimmy apparently thought he waving him over. After a short whispering session, the peanut farmer went back to his seat (and W made a funny face to the crowd that said “Adoy!”)

Adoy? This one is completely new to me. From what I can gather in the Urban Dictionary it’s ‘an expression of triumph or mockery’ or ‘A term used to describe someone who overreacts to a situation with spazy body movement and/or ridiculous facial expressions, thus making them look like a complete ass.’ or a variant of duh!

Anyone have anything a little more definitive? Is this of recent vintage?

.’

Posted: 26 April 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

New to me.  Maybe it’s popular with Moonies?

Posted: 26 April 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2007-02-07

I know it from a character in Futurama, but only because I have a friend who is a Futurama freak. Adoy will say something and then turn right around and say something else that directly conflicts with what he just said. The end result is that you never really learn anything and nothing really happens, sort of an off the wall “OK, nevermind.” However, I can’t imagine that the crowd was full of Futurama freaks.

Posted: 26 April 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

’tis of recent vintage. My 30-something daughter uses it all the time. it means that you’ve witnessed or heard something really stupid. I would have spelled it (to mimick the way my daughter uses it) “ah, doy!” It is a derivative of duh, I would say in agreement with the Urban Dictionary.

I’ll have to ask my daughter where she got it. But I hear lots of folks of a certain generation use it.

Here is a youtube video featuring how it is used. Here is it “duh doy”

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  336
Joined  2012-01-10

I’m familiar with the expression (I think) but I would not have rendered it “Adoy”.  I would render it, “Uh, doi!” or something similar.  “Doi” is a variant on “duh”. (I’ve thought of it as “doi”, but, while I occasionally see “duh” written out, I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen “doi” in writing, so I don’t know what the preferred spelling of it is, if indeed it has one.) I suspect, but I have no evidence to support this, that the “doi” variant on “duh” is more common in Southern California than elsewhere.  (George W is not a Californian, but here, as far as I can tell, the “adoy” implied-meaning is being ascribed to him based on his facial expression, and he did not actually say “adoy").

Duh/no duh/doi/no doi are all, most often, used in a sense of “that’s obvious” (with an implication that one would have to be dumb to not know that).  They are also sometimes used more directly to mean “you’re dumb” (for not knowing that).  (Presumably, the latter sense grew out of the former’s implication that one would have to be dumb to not know an obvious fact.).

My sense is that “doi” is an intensified version of duh, in that it conveys a stronger degree of contempt than “duh” does.

People who use duh/doi not uncommonly introduce it with an “uh” sound, which I have always parsed as “uh, duh”.  The “uh” introduction seems to further emphasize the “that’s obvious/you’d have to be stupid not to know that” sense, or the “you’re stupid (for not knowing that)” sense, depending on how it is being used.

My best guess is that “adoy” is a rather odd way of rendering “Uh, doi!”

[Edit: pipped by oeco.  My only point of departure would be that it’s not that new: it was common when I was in grammar school.]

Posted: 26 April 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2893
Joined  2007-02-26

Yeah, I’ve heard people use it mainly to indicate stupidity in themselves or others.

“I just locked myself out. Adoy!”

Posted: 26 April 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

My only point of departure would be that it’s not that new: it was common when I was in grammar school.

My 30-something daughter has been using it for a loooong time.
[ Edited: 26 April 2013 07:52 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 26 April 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2007-02-13

It was very commonly used among junior high school boys in New Jersey in the early 1970’s.  That last girl in the youtube video got the pronunciation closest to the one we used.

Posted: 26 April 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

That last girl in the youtube video got the pronunciation closest to the one we used.

exactly. There is (forgive the inelegance) a ummm developmentally disabled quality to this expression. There, I’ve said it.